Taube Family Tennis Stadium
"Rows of Champions"
Stanford's basic tennis facility was built in 1926. The twelve court complex was in need on extensive repair and updating. These cement courts and the other 14 asphalt campus courts are now topped with Plexipave, a durable acrylic finish.
Taube Family Tennis Stadium (click on image for larger version)
The nation's first intercollegiate electronically controlled scoreboard was added in 1981. The score of all matches is updated from every court so the spectators are always aware of the progress of each match.
The Ralph Rodriguez Clubhouse was added to provide a Heritage Room/meeting area and coaches offices in 1983.
New Stadium - First Phase: In 1989, the old bleacher-type seating was demolished and a beautiful 1160 individual seat stadium was erected using the Ralph Rodriguez Clubhouse as its center. This structure contains men's and women's team locker rooms, additional office space, and an indoor practice range, formally named The Ralph Rodriguez Founders' Room.
The Craig R. Johnson Players' Lounge is a popular team gathering place and study area. It was donated by the former 1976 standout and his family.
In 1996, The Russ and Jackie Thompson Video Center was added, courtesy of Jackie Thompson in memory of her late husband who was a great friend of Stanford tennis. This trend setting video center collects data directly into a computer for instantaneous recall by category. This enables a player or coach to call up any part of the match for video analysis and review.
New Stadium - Second Phase: Thanks to the lead generosity of Tad Taube, as well as over 500 other former players and supporters, The Taube Family Tennis Stadium was completed in the spring of 1997. It features the addition of 1300 individual seats, a championship Plexicushion indoor court and substantial potential office space.
The Rick and Donna Fluegel Seminar Room is an important component of the building and is serviced by a kitchenette, restrooms and substantial storage space.
In addition to serving as the practice and
competition facility for the perennially powerful Stanford men's and
women's teams, the courts are also available for open play to Stanford
students, faculty and staff. Stanford has also hosted the women's NCAA
Championships three times, most recently in 1997, when the Cardinal
captured its 10th national title, and many other community events. The
Stadium has also served as the host site for the Bank of the West
Classic since 1997, featuring outstanding women's players such as Steffi
Graf, Monica Seles, Martina Hingis, Lindsay Davenport and Venus