Sunken Diamond - Home of the Cardinal
Often called the most beautiful college baseball facility in the country, Sunken Diamond is the home of Stanford Cardinal baseball. Located a short distance from Stanford Stadium (football field), the facility was constructed in 1931 and has a seating capacity of 4,000.
Sunken Diamond (click on image for larger version)
In addition to being the home of Cardinal baseball, Sunken Diamond has also served as a host site for eight NCAA Regional tournaments - in 1983, 1985, 1987, 1990 and 1996-99.
The original fences measured 360 feet in left field, 500 feet in center and 350 feet in right. In 1978, a seven-foot high permanent inner fence was installed with measurements of 335 in left, 400 in center and 335 in right, replacing a portable fence of the same dimensions used in 1966.
Numerous improvements have been made in Sunken Diamond to keep it among the best in the nation. The most significant addition was made on February 2, 1996, when lights were turned on for the first time in school history. Eight towers (two 100-foot, two 90-foot and four 80-foot poles) containing one hundred fifty-eight 1500-watt metal halide luminaries light the playing field and foul areas. All the luminaries are equipped with "Level 8" Optics system which greatly reduce the glare to players and the fans.
Several other new features or renovations were noticeable at Sunken Diamond in 1996, including a 10-foot outfield fence, refurbished bullpen areas, a landscaped entry-way and a concrete walkway with railings which runs throughout the grandstand and an equipment storage shed and player restroom in the batting cage area. The press box has also been renovated and can now accommodate approximately 20 media personnel. In addition, 140 new oak trees were planted behind the outfield fence.
A renovated batting cage area, completed in the fall of 1989, is considered one of the best in collegiate baseball. The area includes two full-length tunnel cages that open up to accomodate eight hitting areas.
The Bud D. Klein Varsity Clubhouse was completed prior to the 1988 season. The structure includes the player's locker room, coaches offices, men's and women's restrooms, training room, equipment room, ticket office and alumni reception room. The clubhouse was made possible by Bud Klein and his children - Tom, Dick, Steve and Kathy.
Other improvements have been completed in recent years. A 36-foot by 12-foot scoreboard funded by the Diamond Club was installed in 1980, while the original wooden bleachers were also replaced with aluminum benches through a Buy-a-Bench program initiated by former skipper Ray Young.
The Stanford baseball program would like to thank the Diamond Club and John Arrillaga for their generous contributions and continuing support of Cardinal Baseball and Sunken Diamond.
Sunken Diamond Facts
Dimensions: 335 (left), 400 (center), 335 (right), 375 (alleys)