Nov. 8, 1997
Stanford To Be Well Represented in The Quarterfinals of The Rolex Regional Tourney
Cardinal Hold Three of Eight Quarterfinal Spots in the Singles Main Draw
STANFORD, Calif. - Three members of the defending national champion Stanford women's tennis team advanced to the quarterfinals of the singles main draw at the 1997 Northwest Rolex Regional held at Stanford's Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Julie Scott, the tourney's No. 1 seed, became the first Cardinal to advance to the Elite Eight with a pair of convincing 6-0, 6-1 victories over Idaho's Rachel Dive and Oregon's Allison Sosnow, respectively. Scott, a senior from Austin, TX (Stephen F. Austin HS), has run off six consecutive victories since dropping her season-opening match in the first round of the All-American Championships two weeks ago and will face Washington's Kristina Kraszewski in her quarterfinal match.
Stanford sophomores Teryn Ashley (Chestnut Hill, MA/Brookline HS) and Jennifer Heiser (Stockton, CA/Lincoln HS) each advanced through the third and fourth rounds to join Scott in the quarterfinals. Heiser is one of three non-seeded players (numerically or alphabetically) to make the quarterfinals.
Two losses in the Round of 16 prevented Stanford from placing five players in the quarters. Cardinal senior Ania Bleszynski, the No. 7 seed, fell to Fresno State's Liesl Fichtbauer 6-3,4-6,2-6 while freshman Sarah Pestieau lost her first collegiate match 6-1, 6-3 to Washington's Zuzana Stunova.
Stunova, who had upset No. 3 seed Amy Jensen of California in the second round, and Fichtbauer are the other two non-seeded players to advance to the quarters. Stunova will face Ashley in one quarterfinal while Fichtbauer will face Heiser in another.
The fourth quarterfinal match will pit Fresno State's Dora Djilianova, a 7-6(3), 6-1 winner over Oregon's Alina Wygonowska, against California's Anita Kurimay, a 6-2, 6-1 winner over Washington's Jenny Svanfeldt. Djilianova and Kurimay were seeded fourth and eighth, respectively.
The only other singles seed to drop, in addition to Bleszynski, was No. 5 Esther Knox of California, who lost 1-6, 6-1, 2-6 to Washington's Kristina Kraszewski. Quarterfinal action begins at 9:00 a.m. tomorrow.
In doubles action, all but one of the remaining seeded teams advanced, led by Stanford's Scott and Bleszynski, the tournament's No. 1 seeded doubles team. Scott and Bleszynski did not drop a single set in an 8-0 victory over Oregon's Andrea Petrovic and Wygonowska.
Washington State's Andrea Reisz and Erica Perkins went to the tiebreaker to defeat Washington's Kristina Kraszewski and Peggy Wu 9-8 for the day's only upset on the doubles side. Kraszewski and Wu were seeded seventh. Play in the singles back draw was highlighted by California's Jensen.
After dropping her opening match in the main draw, Jensen rebounded with two straight-set victories to reach the third round.
Day Two Results of the Northwest Rolex Regional:
Third Round Singles
(1) Julie Scott (Stanford) d. Rachel Dive (Idaho) 6-0, 6-1
Jennifer Heiser (Stanford) over (2) Amanda Augustus (California) WD-ILL
(4) Dora Djilianova (Fresno State) d. Dina Dajani (Pacific) 6-0, 6-2
(5) Esther Knox (California) d. Therese Smyth (Saint Mary's) 6-4, 6-2
(6) Teryn Ashley (Stanford) d. Mili Shah (Saint Mary's) 6-0, 6-2
(7) Ania Bleszynski (Stanford) d. Georgina Whittena (Idaho) 6-0, 6-2
(8) Anita Kurimay (California) d. Melissa Juells (Gonzaga) 6-1, 6-0
Second Round Doubles
(1) Scott/Bleszynski (Stanford) d. Petrovic/Wygonowska (Oregon) 8-0
(2) Augustus/Jensen (California) d. Hannesdottir/Stoloff (Washington) 8-3
(3) Knox/Curran (California) d. Bankston/Hurst (San Jose State) 8-3
(4) Kremer/Ashley (Stanford) d. Kurimay/Tibbits (California) 8-4
(6) Djilianova/Fichtbauer (Fresno State) d. Wagner/Luna (Washington) 8-4
Perkins/Reisz (Washington State) d. (7) Kraszewski/Wu (Washington) 9-8
Heiser/Pestieau (Stanford) d. Colistro/Martin (Oregon) 8-6
Fourth Round Singles
(1) Julie Scott (Stanford) d. Allison Sosnow (Oregon) 6-0, 6-1
(4) Dora Djilianova (Fresno State) d. Alina Wygonowska (Oregon) 7-6(3), 6-1
Kristina Kraszewski (Washington) d. (5) Esther Knox (California) 6-1, 1-6,6-2
(6) Teryn Ashley (Stanford) d. Claire Curran (California) 6-2, 7-5
Liesl Fichtbauer (Fresno State) d. (7) Ania Bleszynski (Stanford) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
(8) Anita Kurimay (California) d. Jenny Svanfeldt (Washington) 6-2, 6-1
Zuzana Stunova (Washington) d. Sarah Pestieau (Stanford) 6-1, 6-3
Jennifer Heiser (Stanford) d. Andrea Petrovic (Oregon) 6-4, 6-2
Third Round Consolation Singles
Mari Maattenen (Pacific) d. Sophy Woodhouse (Stanford) 6-2, 6-2