April 11, 1998
TUCSON, Ariz. - The No. 1 ranked Stanford Cardinal was victorious in four of six singles matches today on their way to a 7-2 victory over the Arizona Wildcats at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. The win improved Stanford to 21-1 overall and 9-1 in Pac-10 play, while Arizona dropped to 10-8, 5-7.
The Cardinal started off well as No. 1 singles player Anne Kremer defeated Arizona's Vicky Maes, 6-2, 7-6. At No. 2, Arizona junior Betsy Miringoff swept Stanford senior Julie Scott, 6-1, 6-0 and at No. 3 singles, UA got another big win from junior Monique Allegre, who defeated Teryn Ashley of Stanford, 6-4, 7-6.
The Cardinal then roared back to claim victories at Nos. 4, 5 and 6. At No. 4, Cardinal senior Ania Bleszynski beat Arizona's Michelle Gough, by a 6-4, 6-0 count and in the longest singles match of the day at No. 5, Stanford's Sarah Pestieau triumphed over Wildcat freshman Joanna Buczowska, 6-3, 5-7, 6-1. Stanford sophomore Jennifer Heiser finished up the singles play with a 7-6, 6-1 win over UA's Vanessa Abel at the No. 6 position.
In doubles, Stanford swept all three matches and claimed the doubles point. At No. 1, Arizona's Maes/Buczowska were beaten by Kremer/Ashley of Stanford, by a 8-4 count. No. 2 doubles saw the Cardinal tandem of Scott/Bleszynski defeat Arizona's Allegre/Miringoff, 8-3, while at No. 3 Heiser/Pestieau downed the Wildcat duo of Gough/Abel, with a score of 8-5.
Stanford 7, Arizona 2
1) Anne Kremer (STAN.) def. Vicky Maes (UA) 6-2, 7-6
2) Betsy Miringoff (UA) def. Julie Scott (STAN.) 6-1, 6-0
3) Monique Allegre (UA) def. Teryn Ashley (STAN.) 6-4, 7-6
4) Ania Bleszynski (STAN.) def. Michelle Gough (UA) 6-4, 6-0
5) Sarah Pestieau (STAN.) def. Joanna Buczowska (UA) 6-3, 5-7, 6-1
6) Jennifer Heiser (STAN.) def. Vanesse Abel (UA) 7-6, 6-1
(Stanford claims the point)
1) Kremer/Ashley (STAN.) def. Maes/Buczowska (UA) 8-4
2) Scott/Bleszynsi (STAN.) def. Allegre/Miringoff (UA) 8-3
3) Heiser/Pestieau (STAN.) def. Gough/Abel (UA) 8-5