April 10, 1998
TEMPE, Ariz. - The top-ranked Stanford women's tennis team took five of the six matches of the singles ladder to seal its 21st victory of the season today at Arizona State, defeating the eighth-ranked Sun Devils 5-4. With the win, the Cardinal upped its record to 21-1 overall and 9-1 in the Pac-10 Conference.
Sophomore Anne Kremer improved to 14-5 on the season with her third straight win over a ranked opponent, defeating 29th-ranked Reka Cseresnyes in straight sets 6-2, 6-4 at the No. 1 position. Senior team captain Julie Scott (32-5) dropped just her fifth match of the season, and only her second dual match, as she fell 6-2, 0-6, 6-4 to 39th-ranked Karin Palme at the No. 2 slot. The win by Palme represented the Sun Devils lone point in singles play.
Stanford had a chance to turn the match into a blowout. With the win already in hand, the Cardinal dropped all three matches in doubles play for the 5-4 final. In a showdown of Top 20 teams, ASU's 10th-ranked duo of Stephanie Lansdorp and Katy Propstra dealt Kremer and Teryn Ashley, currently ranked 15th in the country, an 8-1 loss at the No. 1 position.
Stanford will return to action tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. against No. 18 Arizona.
Arizona State 4
1. Anne Kremer (Stanford) d. Reka Cseresnyes (Arizona State) 6-2, 6-4
2. Karin Palme (Arizona State) d. Julie Scott (Stanford) 6-2, 0-6, 6-4
3. Teryn Ashley (Stanford) d. Alison Nash (Arizona State) 7-5, 6-0
4. Ania Bleszynski (Stanford) d. Katy Propstra (Arizona State) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
5. Sarah Pestieau (Stanford) d. Kerry Giordano (Arizona State) 6-3, 7-5
6. Jennifer Heiser (Stanford) d. Celena McCoury (Arizona State) 6-2, 7-5
1. Stephanie Lansdorp/Propstra (Arizona State) d. Kremer/Ashley (Stanford) 8-1
2. Nash/McCoury (California) d. Scott/Bleszynski (Stanford) 8-4
3. Cseresnyes/Palme (Arizona State) d. Heiser/Pestieau (Stanford) 8-3