April 7, 1998
STANFORD, Calif. - The top-ranked Stanford women's tennis team defeated
Bay Area and Pac-10 rival California 7-1 today at the Taube Family Tennis
Stadium. With the win, the Cardinal (20-1 overall, 8-1 Pac-10) reached the
20-win plateau for the 16th consecutive year and captured the season series with
the Golden Bears for the fifth straight year. Stanford defeated Cal 5-4 earlier
this season. With the loss, California fell to 14-5 overall and 7-2 in Pac-10
Stanford cruised through the singles ladder, winning five of the six matches in
straight sets. At the No. 1 position, Stanford's Anne Kremer, currently ranked
16th in the nation, knocked off No. 6 Amanda Augustus 6-2, 6-1 to improve to
13-5 on the season. Augustus had defeated Kremer 7-5, 6-3 in the first meeting
between the two teams.
Senior captain Julie Scott improved to 32-4 on the
season with a convincing 6-0, 6-0 win over Amy Jensen at the No. 2 slot. The
victory was Scott's 89th career dual match win, moving her into third place
all-time at Stanford. Freshman Sarah Pestieau defeated Stephanie Tibbits 6-4,
4-6, 6-2 at the No. 5 position to become the fifth Stanford player to win 20 or
more matches this season, upping her record to 20-6.
The Golden Bears picked up
a split of the two doubles matches played for their lone point of the match as
Esther Knox and Anita Kurimay defeated Scott and Ania Bleszynski 8-4 at the No.
2 position, their second win over the Cardinal pair this season.
1. Anne Kremer (Stanford) d. Amanda Augustus (California) 6-2, 6-1
2. Julie Scott (Stanford) d. Amy Jensen (California) 6-0, 6-0
3. Teryn Ashley (Stanford) d. Esther Knox (California) 6-0, 6-3
4. Ania Bleszynski (Stanford) d. Anita Kurimay (California) 6-0, 6-1
5. Sarah Pestieau (Stanford) d. Stephanie Tibbits (California) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
6. Jennifer Heiser (Stanford) d. Francesca La'O (California) 6-2, 6-0
1. Kremer/Ashley (Stanford) d. Augustus/Jensen (California) 8-6
2. Knox/Kurimay (California) d. Scott/Bleszynski (Stanford) 8-4