March 23, 1998
STANFORD, Calif. - The second-ranked Stanford women's tennis team fought off upset minded Harvard 5-4 today in a rain-delayed meeting of Top 25 opponents. With the win, the Cardinal (16-0 overall) extended its winning streak to 35 matches. Tied at 4-4, the match came down to No. 1 singles with Stanford's Julie Scott and Ania Bleszynski, the fourth-ranked tandem in the country, coming away with an 8-6 win over Ivy Wang and Rosemary She to deliver the victory.
Stanford's Teryn Ashley, a sophomore from Chestnut Hill, Mass. (Brookline HS), improved her collegiate dual match record to 38-0 with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Gabriela Hricko at the No. 2 singles position. Ashley, who is currently ranked 11th in the nation, also became the Cardinal's first 30-game winner of the year, improving to 30-3 overall (15-0 dual match). For the 25th-ranked Crimson, which fell to 7-5 on the season, She pulled off a come-from-behind 5-7, 6-2, 6-2 win over No. 51 Ania Bleszynski at the No. 3 singles slot while the duo of Hricko and Vedica Jain upset Stanford's 10th-ranked pair of Ashley and Anne Kremer 8-4 at No. 2 doubles.
Stanford will kick off a four-match road trip with a pair of matches in the state of Texas beginning on Thursday, March 26 at No. 35 Texas A&M. The Cardinal will then head to Austin to face No. 7 Texas on Saturday, March 28.
#2 Stanford 5
#25 Harvard 4
1. Julie Scott (Stanford) d. Ivy Wang (Harvard) 6-1, 6-2
2. Teryn Ashley (Stanford) d. Gabriela Hricko (Harvard) 6-4, 6-3
3. Rosemary She (Harvard) d. Ania Bleszynski (Stanford) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
4. Sarah Pestieau (Stanford) d. Sanaz Ghazal (Harvard) 6-4, 6-1
5. Jennifer Heiser (Stanford) d. Vedica Jain (Harvard) 6-3, 6-3
6. Julia Kim (Harvard) d. Sophy Woodhouse (Stanford) 7-6, 6-3
1. Scott/Bleszynski (Stanford) d. Wang/She (Harvard) 8-6
2. Hricko/Jain (Harvard) d. Kremer/Ashley (Stanford) 8-4
3. Kim/Ghazal (Harvard) d. Heiser/Pestieau (Stanford) 8-6