March 7, 1998
STANFORD, Calif. - The fifth-ranked Stanford women's tennis team remained unbeaten on the season with a tough 6-3 win over eighth-ranked Arizona State in a Pac-10 match at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. With the win, Stanford's 34th consecutive, the Cardinal improved to 15-0 overall and 6-0 in the conference. Arizona State dropped to 6-3 overall and 3-3 in the Pac-10.
After splitting the singles ladder 3-3 and the first two doubles positions, the match came down to the final contest - No. 3 doubles - with freshman Sarah Pestieau and sophomore Jennifer Heiser (Stockton, CA/Lincoln HS) delivering Stanford to victory with an 8-6 win over ASU's Karin Palme and Reka Cseresnyes.
In singles play, Stanford captured the 2-4 positions while Arizona State won at No. 1, No. 5 and No. 6. Senior captain Julie Scott (Austin, TX/Stephen F. Austin HS) improved to 26-4 overall and 13-1 in dual match play with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 come-from-behind victory over Palme at the No. 2 position. Sophomore Teryn Ashley (Chestnut Hill, MA/Brookline HS) overcame her sluggish start to win her 17th straight match at the No. 3 slot. Down 3-0 in the first set, Ashley rallied to defeat Stephanie Lansdorp 7-6, 6-4. With the win, Ashley
(29-3 overall) upped her career dual match record to a perfect 37-0. Senior Ania Bleszynski (Thousand Oaks, CA/Harvard-Westlake HS) captured Stanford's other singles point with a 6-4, 6-1 win over ASU's Alison Nash at the No. 4 position.
#5 Stanford 5
#8 Arizona State 4
1. Reka Cseresnyes (Arizona State) d. Anne Kremer (Stanford) 6-4, 6-3
2. Julie Scott (Stanford) d. Karin Palme (Arizona State) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. Teryn Ashley (Stanford) d. Stephanie Lansdorp (Arizona State) 7-6, 6-4
4. Ania Bleszynski (Stanford) d. Alison Nash (Arizona State) 6-4, 6-1
5. Katy Propstra (Arizona State) d. Sarah Pestieau (Stanford) 7-5, 1-6, 6-2
6. Celena McCoury (Arizona State) d. Jennifer Heiser (Stanford) 6-4, 6-2
1. Propstra/Lansdorp (Arizona State) d. Kremer/Ashley (Stanford) 8-4
2. Scott/Bleszynski (Stanford) d. Nash/McCoury (Arizona State) 8-6
3. Heiser/Pestieau (Stanford) d. Palme/Cseresnyes (Arizona State) 8-6