March 2, 2013
STANFORD, Calif.- No. 26 Stanford cruised past No. 9 California 6-1 on Saturday afternoon at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium in the latest chapter of the competitive Bay Area rivalry series.
Bouncing back from a 4-2 loss at No. 4 Florida six days ago, Stanford (5-2, 0-0 Pac-12) responded with a solid all-around performance while notching its second win over a top-20 foe this year.
Stanford has now won seven in a row against California (5-4, 0-0 Pac-12) dating back to April 18, 2009.
Saturday's contest represented the first of six consecutive home matches for the Cardinal. Additionally, today's result will not factor into the conference standings, as the April 19 rematch in Berkeley will serve as the Pac-12 counting match.
Tied through two matches in doubles, Stanford locked up a 1-0 lead when the No. 2 duo of Stacey Tan and Ellen Tsay put away Cal's Kelly Chui and Klara Fabikova 8-4. Stanford has captured the doubles point in all but one match this year.
The Cardinal quickly jumped ahead 3-0 following convincing victories at the top of the lineup. Kristie Ahn defeated Lynn Chi 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 2 spot before Nicole Gibbs easily handled Anett Schutting 6-2, 6-2 at the No. 1 position.
That left four matches on court, with Krista Hardebeck and Ellen Tsay the likely candidates to provide the clincher.
Hardebeck ultimately secured the match with her team-leading 17th victory of the year, taking down Fabikova 6-3, 7-5 in a battle of talented freshmen at No. 3.
Tsay followed shortly after with a 6-2, 6-2 triumph on court five, while Tan prevailed in a gritty three-setter at No. 4.
California grabbed its only point of the match at No. 6, where Alice Duranteau downed Lindsey Kostas 7-6, 6-2.
Stanford is back in action on Friday, March 8, hosting Washington at 1:30 p.m. in the first contest of a stretch that features three matches in three days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
No. 26 Stanford 6, No. 9 California 1
1) Ahn/Gibbs (STAN) d. Chi/Schutting (CAL) 8-4
2) Tan/Tsay (STAN) d. Chui/Fabikova (CAL) 8-4
3) Davis/Annie Goransson (CAL) d. Natalie Dillon/Hardebeck (STAN) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1) No. 87 Nicole Gibbs (STAN) d. No. 8 Anett Schutting (CAL) 6-2, 6-2
2) No. 48 Kristie Ahn (STAN) d. No. 49 Lynn Chi (CAL) 6-3, 6-2
3) No. 14 Krista Hardebeck (STAN) d. No. 117 Klara Fabikova (CAL) 6-3, 7-5
4) No. 103 Stacey Tan (STAN) d. Tayler Davis (CAL) 0-6, 7-5, 6-0
5) No. 31 Ellen Tsay (STAN) d. Kelly Chui (CAL) 6-2, 6-2
6) Alice Duranteau (CAL) d. Lindsey Kostas (STAN) 7-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3, 5, 4, 6