Feb. 28, 1998
STANFORD, Calif. - The fifth-ranked Stanford women's tennis team survived a scare from rival California, escaping Berkeley with a narrow 5-4 decision over the seventh-ranked Golden Bears. With the win, Cardinal improved to 13-0 overall (4-0 Pac-10) and extended its winning streak to 32 matches dating back to last season. The loss dropped California to 9-2 overall and 3-1 in the Pac-10.
Sophomore Jennifer Heiser (Stockton, CA/Lincoln HS) proved to be the crucial victor for Stanford in the singles flight, defeating Cal's Francesca La'O 6-3, 6-7, 7-5 at the No. 6 position to give the Cardinal a 4-2 lead heading into doubles play. Needing to win just one of the three doubles matches to claim the victory, Stanford did just that as the duo of Anne Kremer and Teryn Ashley dealt Cal's Amanda Augustus and Amy Jensen their first dual match loss of the season 8-6 at the No. 1 position.
Senior captain Julie Scott (Austin, TX/Stephen F. Austin HS) and Ashley continued their dominant play in singles play. Scott, currently ranked fifth in the nation, improved to 24-4 overall and 11-1 in dual match play with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Esther Knox at the No. 2 slot, while Ashley, currently ranked seventh in the country, defeated Stephanie Tibbits in the third position 6-1, 6-1 to improve her collegiate dual match record to an unblemished 35-0. Additionally, Ashley improved to 27-3 overall. After sitting out the Saint Mary's match earlier this week while recovering from illness, senior Ania Bleszynski (Thousand Oaks, CA/Harvard-Westlake HS) returned in fine fashion with a convincing 6-3, 6-2 win over Amy Jensen at No. 4 to run her record to 15-5 (9-2 dual match) on the season.
1. Amanda Augustus (California) d. Anne Kremer (Stanford) 7-5, 6-3
2. Julie Scott (Stanford) d. Esther Knox (California) 6-3, 6-0
3. Teryn Ashley (Stanford) d. Stephanie Tibbits (California) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ania Bleszynski (Stanford) d. Amy Jensen (California) 6-3, 6-2
5. Anita Kurimay (California) d. Sarah Pestieau (Stanford) 7-5, 6-1
6. Jennifer Heiser (Stanford) d. Francesca La'O (California) 6-3, 6-7, 7-5
1. Kremer/Ashley (Stanford) d. Augustus/Jensen (California) 8-6
2. Knox/Kurimay (California) d. Scott/Bleszynski (Stanford) 8-6
3. La'O/Jenny Lee (California) d. Heiser/Pestieau (Stanford) 5-1