Feb. 13, 1998
Stanford, CA - In a showdown of Top 10 teams today at Stanford's Taube Family Tennis Stadium, the fifth-ranked Stanford women's tennis team defeated No. 10 Pepperdine 7-2. With the win, Stanford improved to 7-0 on the season and ran its winning streak to 26 matches. Pepperdine dropped to 4-2 on the season.
Stanford took five of six in the singles flight to put the match away early. Cardinal sophomore Teryn Ashley (Chestnut Hill, MA/Brookline HS) got the ball rolling with a quick 6-2, 6-1 win over Pepperdine's Ipek Senoglu at the No. 3 position. Ashley, currently ranked 10th in the nation, improved her collegiate dual match record to 29-0 and her season overall record to 21-3. The Cardinal nearly completed a sweep of the singles flight as No. 14 Julie Scott, playing the No. 2 position against Angela Lawrence, battled back from a 6-2 opening-set loss to capture the second set (6-3) and then come within a point of taking the third for the come-from-behind victory. Scott trailed in the third set 3-1 before running off four straight points to take a 5-3 lead. Lawrence responded with a four-point rally of her own to win 7-5, handing Scott (18-4 overall, 5-1 dual match) her first dual match loss of the season and delivering Pepperdine its lone point in singles play.
In doubles, Stanford took two of three matches, highlighted by the Cardinal's ninth-ranked team of Anne Kremer and Teryn Ashley defeating Pepperdine's No. 2 tandem of Zsofia Csapo and Angela Lawrence 8-6 at the No. 1 position. The Waves picked up their lone doubles point at the No. 2 slot where Senoglu and Karoline Borgersen held off a late rally by Stanford's Scott and Ania Bleszynski for a 9-8 (8) win. Scott and Bleszynski rallied from a 7-3 deficit to tie the match at 7-7. The two teams traded games to keep things even at eight apiece and force the tiebreak, eventually won by Pepperdine's duo 8-6. At No. 3, Stanford's Sarah Pestieau and Jennifer Heiser improved to 10-1 (7-0 dual match) with a decisive 8-3 victory over Nadine Rastetter and Yael Tobi.
Stanford returns to action tomorrow when it hosts No. 21 San Diego State at 12:00 p.m.
1. Anne Kremer (Stanford) d. Zsofia Csapo (Pepperdine) 6-2, 6-4
2. Angela Lawrence (Pepperdine) d. Julie Scott (Stanford) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
3. Teryn Ashley (Stanford) d. Ipek Senoglu (Pepperdine) 6-2, 6-1
4. Ania Bleszynski (Stanford) d. Karoline Borgersen (Pepperdine) 6-2, 6-4
5. Sarah Pestieau (Stanford) d. Anh Nguyen (Pepperdine) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
6. Jennifer Heiser (Stanford) d. Nadine Rastetter (Pepperdine) 6-2, 0-6, 6-3
1. Kremer/Ashley (Stanford) d. Csapo/Lawrence (Pepperdine) 8-6
2. Senoglu/Borgersen (Pepperdine) d. Scott/Bleszynski (Stanford) 9-8 (8)
3. Heiser/Pestieau (Stanford) d. Rastetter/Yael Tobi (Pepperdine) 8-3