Feb. 11, 1998
STANFORD, Calif. - The fifth-ranked Stanford women's tennis team defeated University of the Pacific 8-1 today at Taube Family Tennis Stadium to extend its win streak to 25 matches. Stanford has not lost since the championship match of the 1997 Rolex National Indoor Team Championships - a 4-3 loss to Florida which the Cardinal avenged in the '97 NCAA title match by a score of 5-1. With the win, the Cardinal improved to 6-0 on the season while Pacific dropped to 1-3.
Stanford had little trouble through the singles flight, winning all six matches in straight sets. Fresh off capturing the national indoor singles and doubles titles last weekend, senior captain Julie Scott (18-3, 5-0 dual match) ran her overall win streak to 10 matches with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Bente Grina at the No. 2 position. Sophomore Jennifer Heiser (Stockton, CA/Lincoln HS) improved to 11-3 on the season (5-1 dual match) with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Kendra Lamb at the No. 5 position.
In doubles, Stanford captured the first two positions while Pacific picked up its lone point of the match at No. 3. Cardinal sophomores Anne Kremer and Teryn Ashley, the nation's ninth-ranked team, remain perfect on the year, improving their record to 10-0 with an 8-4 victory over Pacific's Mari Maattanen and Marcela Sanchez. The Tiger's Diana D'Audney and Dina Dajani defeated Stanford's Julia Sherbakov and Heidi Stalla 8-1 for the Tiger's lone win.
1. Anne Kremer (Stanford) d. Mari Maattanen (Pacific) 6-0, 6-1
2. Julie Scott (Stanford) d. Bente Grina (Pacific) 6-1, 6-2
3. Ania Bleszynski (Stanford) d. Dina Dajani (Pacific) 6-4, 6-3
4. Sarah Pestieau (Stanford) d. Marcela Sanchez (Pacific) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jennifer Heiser (Stanford) d. Kendra Lamb (Pacific) 6-0, 6-0
6. Sophy Woodhouse (Stanford) d. Diana D'Audney (Pacific) 7-6 (8), 6-1
1. Kremer/Ashley (Stanford) d. Maattanen/Sanchez (Pacific) 8-4
2. Heiser/Pestieau (Stanford) d. Grina/Lamb (Pacific) 8-0
3. D'Audney/Dajani (Pacific) d. Sherbakov/Heidi Stalla (Stanford) 8-1