No. 5 Women's Tennis Knocks Off No. 61 Washington
Cardinal win third match in three days.
SEATTLE, Calif. - The fifth-ranked Stanford women's tennis team completed its swing through the Pac-10's Northern Division with a 7-2 victory over No. 61 Washington. With the win, its 24th consecutive, the Cardinal improved to 5-0 on the season. The loss dropped Washington to 1-2.
Playing its third match in three days, Stanford's depth in the singles ladder and strong doubles play led the team to victory. The Cardinal's pair of losses, the first two losses of the trip and just the second and third of the season, came in the singles flight. Sophomore Anne Kremer, the world's 128th-ranked player, suffered her first defeat of the year as she was upset by Kristina Kraszewski 6-1, 3-6, 5-7 in the No. 1 position. Kraszewski is currently the 34th-ranked collegiate player in the nation. Stanford picked up victories in the 2-5 positions with sophomore Teryn Ashley (Chestnut Hill, MA/Brookline HS) picking up her 16th victory of the season in the No. 3 slot with a
6-3, 6-2 win over Peggy Wu. Ashley, currently ranked 10th in the nation, boasts a perfect 27-0 collegiate dual match record and is 16-2 overall this season. Stanford senior captain Julie Scott (Austin, TX/Stephen F. Austin HS), currently ranked 14th, defeated No. 27 Zuzana Stunova in straight sets - 6-2, 6-3 - at the No. 2 position to improve to 12-3 overall. The Huskies only other victory came at No. 6 where Zeta Wagner handed Cardinal sophomore Jennifer Heiser her first dual match loss of the season 6-2, 6-4.
In doubles, Stanford continued its strong showing, sweeping all three positions for the fifth time in five matches. The duo of Kremer and Ashley, currently ranked ninth in the nation, remained undefeated (9-0 overall; 4-0 dual match) with an 8-4 win over Kori Sosnowy and Wu.
1. Kristina Kraszewski (Washington) d. Anne Kremer (Stanford) 1-6, 6-3, 7-5
2. Julie Scott (Stanford) d. Zuzana Stunova (Washington) 6-2, 6-3
3. Teryn Ashley (Stanford) d. Peggy Wu (Washington) 6-3, 6-2
4. Ania Bleszynski (Stanford) d. Erica Stoloff (Washington) 6-3, 6-2
5. Sarah Pestieau (Stanford) d. Jenny Svanfeldt (Washington) 6-2, 6-3
6. Zeta Wagner (Washington) d. Jennifer Heiser (Stanford) 6-2, 6-4
1. Kremer/Ashley (Stanford) d. Kori Sosnowy/Wu (Washington) 8-4
2. Bleszynski/Scott (Stanford) d. Kraszewski/Stunova (Wash.) 8-1
3. Pestieau/Heiser (Stanford) d. H. Hannesdottir/Wagner (Wash.) 9-7