Women's Tennis Wins Easily over Oregon
No. 1 Kremer challenged in win.
Jan. 31, 1998
EUGENE, Ore. -- The Oregon Ducks' women's tennis team's loss to fifth-ranked Stanford Friday at Willow Creek Racquet Club didn't come without a few anxious moments for the defending national champions before the Cardinal prevailed 7-0. The appearance marked Stanford's first visit ever to Oregon for competition in tennis.
Oregon's sophomore Alina Wygonowska pushed Stanford's No. 1 player, Anne Kremer, to three sets, winning the first, 6-2, before jumping out to a 4-1 advantage in the second set. The match turned when Alina began to struggle with Kremer's game. Kremer, ranked 128th in the world after defeating Mary Pierce (ranked tenth in the world) earlier this year, recovered in time to post a 6-4 second-set win over Wygonowska before sealing the match with a 6-1 victory in the final set. All other matches were two set shut-outs, in Stanford's favor.
"Stanford played a very solid game, even compared to last year when they were ranked first (in the country)," commented head coach Jack Griffin. "We faced as good of a team as I think we will this year and now it's up to us to use this experience, to learn from it and play to harder against our next opponents, such as California."
The Ducks' face No. 7 California at Willow Creek Racquet Club, at noon Sunday.
Team Score: Stanford 7, Oregon 0
1. Anne Kremer def. Alina Wygonowska, 2-6, 6-4, 6-1
2. Julie Scott def. Andrea Petrovic, 6-2, 6-0
3. Teryn Ashley def. Sarah Colistro (default)
4. Ania Bleszynski def. Allison Sosnow, 6-1, 6-1
5. Sarah Pestieau def. Shanelle Kaneshiro, 6-1, 6-2
6. Jennifer Heiser def. Jaime Martin, 6-2, 6-1
1. Kremer/Ashley def. Kaneshiro/Sosnow, 8-1
2. Bleszynski/Scott def. Petrovic/Wygonowska, 8-1
3. Pestieau/Heiser def. Colistro/Martin, (default)