July 5, 2000
STANFORD, Calif.- Four Stanford 1,500 meter runners ran career-bests and qualified for the United States Olympic Trials (July 14-23) to highlight the Cardinal's participation in the GMC/Envoy Open on Saturday at Cobb Track & Field.
Jonathon Riley finished first in the second section of the 3:38.90 while freshman Andrew Powell finished second in 3:40.65. In the first section of the 1,500 meters, Michael Stember finished second in a time of 3:39.06.
Sally Glynn ran the second-fastest time in Pac-10 history with a time of 4:12.56 in the 1,500 meters.
A fifth Stanford runner, Jason Balkman, ran the 5,000 meters in 13:46.27, beating the U.S. Olympic Qualifying standard of 13:47.00.
The meet produced eleven Cobb Track & Angell Field records. The list includes John Capel of adidas in the 100 meters (10.14), Carlette Guidry of adidas in the 100 meters (11.06), Khadevis Robinson of the Santa Monica Track Club in the 800 meters (1:46.06), Margaret Crowley of Australia in the 1,500 meters (4:09.10), Pascal Dobert of Nike in the 3,000 meter steeplechase (8:25.13), Mark Crear of God Speed in the 110 meter hurdles (13.20), Yvonne Harrison of Fila in the 400 meter hurdles, Maureen Griffin, competing unattached, in the hammer (204-5), Savante Stringfellow of Mississippi in the long jump (26-10), Stacy Dragila of Reebok in the pole vault (14-10 1/4), and Adam Nelson, competing unattached in the shot put (71-2 1/2).
Jonathon Riley's time of 3:38.90 is #2 all-time in Stanford school history, while Michael Stember's time of 3:39.06 is #3 all-time at Stanford, while Andrew Powell's time of 3:40.65 in the 1,500 meters is #5 all-time at Stanford ... Sally Glynn's 1,500 meter time of 4:12.56 is #2 all-time at Stanford.
1. Jonathon Riley - 1,500 meters (2nd section, 3:38.90) - u.s. olympic standard
2. Andy Powell - 1,500 meters (2nd section, 3:40.65) - u.s. olympic standard
2. Michael Stember - 1,500 meters (1st section3:39.06) - u.s. olympic standard
2. Jason Balkman - 5,000 meters (13:46.27) - u.s. olympic standard
2. Toby Stevenson - pole vault (17-6 1/2, 5.35m)
4. Nick Welihozkiy - shot put (48-8 1/4, 14.84m)
5. Sally Glynn - 1,500 meters (4:12.56) - u.s. olympic standard
8. Lindsay Hyatt - 800 meters (2:08.55)
9. Kathleen Donoghue - pole vault (12-0 3/4, 3.68m)