2011 NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Championships Taube Family Tennis Center - Stanford, Calif. Saturday, May 21 - 12 p.m. - Taube South Men's Quarterfinals
#6 GEORGIA (24-5) 4
#3 TENNESSEE (24-5) 3
Doubles (Order of Finish: 1, 3)
1) No. 1 Conkic/Smith (TENN) d. No. 6 Garrapiz/Pieters (UGA) 8-4
2) No. 72 Sandgren/Williams (TENN) vs. No. 88 Doumbia/Taboada (UGA) aban.
3) Fago/Jones (TENN) d. Bernstein/Spencer (UGA) 8-4
Singles (Order of Finish: 4, 5, 6, 3, 2, 1)
1) No. 18 Will Spencer (UGA) d. No. 11 John-Patrick Smith (TENN) 2-6, 6-2, 7-5
2) No. 3 Rhyne Williams (TENN) d. No. 32 Javier Garrapiz (UGA) 7-5, 7-5
3) No. 51 Sadio Doumbia (UGA) d. No. 45 Tennys Sandgren (TENN) 6-2, 6-2
4) Boris Conkic (TENN) d. Drake Bernstein (UGA) 6-3, 6-1
5) Ignacio Taboada (UGA) d. No. 80 Matteo Fago (TENN) 6-1, 6-2
6) Hernus Pieters (UGA) d. Edward Jones (TENN) 6-1, 6-3
Georgia Head Coach Manuel Diaz
"I've never seen a match where I've there were so many dramatic turns, both players really played with tremendous courage through the entire match. They whipped us in doubles and I was a little bit upset at the midway point of that because I didn't think we played free of worries and aggressively enough. I was really impressed with how we came out to start that singles match and I knew we were going to give them a battle. Will Spencer gave us a tremendous performance. I told him when he started cramping that this is what great stories are made out of and that we would be talking about this in 20 years."
Georgia Junior Will Spencer
"Being a Bulldog. That family, that support, got me through the match. I really wanted to win it for the team. We worked hard all year and there was no way I was going to give that up. It was a team effort. I got the win at the end but if it wasn't for the three other guys it never would have happened and the team got me through it."
Tennessee Head Coach Sam Winterbotham
"It is not a time to reflect right now. I just called them all together and told them I wanted to be around them. Right now everybody is hurting. We are disappointed."
""That match was all about matchups. Georgia knew where they were favored, Tennessee knew where they were favored. An evaluation right now, not with a very clear head, the matches that we were favored to win, they pushed us really hard and made us work harder. In the matches they were favored to win, we didn't push them very hard. We got off the court way too fast. I think you have to give them credit for that. We are very disappointed."
"Everybody gave everything they had. I think looking back we must not be disappointed with our effort. We will be disappointed with our play."