2011 NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Championships Taube Family Tennis Center - Stanford, Calif. Thursday, May 19 - 9 a.m. - Taube Stadium Men's Round of 16
#3 TENNESSEE (24-4) 4
#14 CALIFORNIA (14-8) 2
Doubles (Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1)
1) No. 23 Andrews/Konigsfeldt (CAL) d. No. 1 Conkic/Smith (TENN) 9-8 (4)
2) No. 72 Sandgren/Williams (TENN) d. Cueto/Zerbini (CAL) 8-1
3) Dahan/B. McLachlan (CAL) d. Fago/Jones (TENN) 8-5
Singles (Order of Finish: 1, 6, 4, 5, 2)
1) No. 11 John-Patrick Smith (TENN) d. No. 20 Pedro Zerbini (CAL) 6-3, 6-1
2) No. 3 Rhyne Williams (TENN) d. No. 64 Carlos Cueto (CAL) 7-6 (5), 6-3
3) No. 45 Tennys Sandgren (TENN) vs. No. 96 Nick Andrews (CAL) aban.
4) Boris Conkic (TENN) vs. Christoffer Kongisfeldt (CAL) 6-2, 6-2
5) Ben McLachlan (CAL) d. No. 80 Matteo Fago (TENN) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
6) Edward Jones (TENN) d. Bozhidar Katsarov (CAL) 7-6 (5), 6-0
Tennessee Head Coach Sam Winterbotham:
"You've got to play to win in this tournament, and I think a little bit of nerves came into it. You know, big stage, even though we've been here before, you still have to manage those nerves and I don't think we did a great job of doing that in the doubles. I give Cal credit for winning the doubles point. They played to win, and in singles, we played to win."
California Head Coach Peter Wright:
"Tennessee is a great team, and they've got phenomenal doubles. I think going out in the singles, they really battled hard, and Tennessee, you have to really tip your hat to them. They played incredibly well. Our guys fought hard. Even to the very end, there was some great tight, tight points down there. But you know, Tennessee has been a very strong team all season, and I think at the end of the day, we'll take a look back and see where we were strong, where we were weak, but we played a tough match today. Both teams were very solid."