March 27, 1998
TUCSON, Ariz. - The Arizona men's tennis team was beaten at all six singles and all three doubles positions today at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center as they were swept by top-ranked team in the nation, Stanford,
At No. 1 singles, Arizona senior Roland Kupka was beaten by Stanford junior Ryan Wolters by a 6-0, 6- 4 count and at the No. 2 position, UA senior Jerome Oliveri was beaten by Cardinal senior Paul Goldstein 6-4, 6-4. At No. 3 singles, Stanford's Mike Bryan had his way with Wildcat sophomore Michel Stopa, recording a 6-4, 6-1 victory, while his teammate, freshman Alex Kim defeated Arizona senior Mike MacKay at the No. 4 slot, 6-3, 7-6.
The final two singles positions proved to be no better for the Cats as the No. 5 position saw sophomore Geoff Abrams beat Arizona junior Adnan Novo 6-3, 6-0. In the final match of the day in the No. 6 slot, Stanford's Charlie Hoeveler battled three sets before defeating UA freshman Mike Huss, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4.
In doubles play, Stanford claimed the point by sweeping the three doubles positions. Oliveri/Stopa were defeated by the Bryan brothers of Stanford, Mike and Bob, 8-2 at No. 1, while MacKay/Novo fell to Goldstein/Wolters at No. 2, 8-3. The final doubles match of the day in the No. 3 slot also went to the Cardinal, as Abrams/Kim triumphed over Kupka/Huss of Arizona, 8-3.
1. Ryan Wolters (SU) def. Roland Kupka (UA) 6-0, 6-4
2. Paul Goldstein (SU) def. Jerome Oliveri (UA) 6-4, 6-4
3. Mike Bryan (SU) def. Michel Stopa (UA) 6-4, 6-1
4. Alex Kim (SU) def. Mike MacKay (UA) 6-3, 7-6
5. Geoff Abrams (SU) def. Adnan Novo (UA) 6-3, 6-0
6. Charlie Hoeveler (SU) def. Mike Huss (UA) 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
Doubles (Stanford wins double point)
1. Bryan/Bryan (SU) def. Oliveri/Stopa (UA) 8-2
2. Goldstein/Wolters (SU) def. MacKay/Novo(UA) 8-3
3. Abrams/Kim (SU) def. Kupka/Huss (UA) 8-3
Records: Arizona 4-7; 1-5 in Pac 10; Stanford 15-0, 4-0 in Pac-10