March 25, 1998
STANFORD, Calif. - The top-ranked and defending national champion Stanford men's tennis team continued its sensational 1997-98 campaign with a 7-0 victory over Brigham Young today at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. The Cardinal, which has dropped just one individual match all season, upped its record to 14-0 on the season and extended its winning streak to 25 matches.
Stanford failed to drop a single set in winning all six matches in the singles ladder. Junior Ryan Wolters (San Jose, CA/Leland HS) improved to 19-2 overall and 12-0 in dual match play with a 6-3, 6-3 win over BYU's Manuel Calvo at the No.1 slot. Sophomore Mike Bryan (Camarillo, CA/Rio Mesa HS), currently ranked sixth in the nation, captured his team-leading 23rd victory of the season with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Brad McIntosh at No. 3.
In doubles, the second-ranked duo of Bob and Mike Bryan cruised to an 8-1 win over the 40th-ranked pair of Calvo and Damien Ward at the No. 1 position. Wolters and Paul Goldstein (Rockville, MD/Sidwell Friends) remained perfect on the season, improving to 10-0 with an 8-2 win over McIntosh and Nic Losee at No. 2.
Stanford 7 Brigham Young 0
1. Ryan Wolters (Stanford) d. Manuel Calvo (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Paul Goldstein (Stanford) d. Damien Ward (BYU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Mike Bryan (Stanford) d. Brad McIntosh (BYU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Alex Kim (Stanford) d. Jason Hardin (BYU) 7-6, 6-4
5. Geoff Abrams (Stanford) d. Nic Losee (BYU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Scotty Scott (Stanford) d. Jeff Harbach (BYU) 6-2, 7-5
1. Bryan/Bob Bryan (Stanford) d. Calvo/Ward (BYU) 8-1
2. Goldstein/Wolters (Stanford) d. McIntosh/Losee (BYU) 8-2
3. Abrams/Charles Hoeveler (Stanford) d. Harbach/Hardin (BYU) 8-2