Feb. 28, 1998
STANFORD, Calif. - In a meeting of unbeatens, the top-ranked Stanford men's tennis team continued its impressive winning streak with a 7-0 sweep of 37th-ranked California today in the Union Bank "Battle of the Bay" at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. The win, Stanford's 25th straight dating back to last season, extended the Cardinal's record to 13-0 (3-0 Pac-10) this season. The loss dropped the Golden Bears to 6-1 overall and 2-1 in the Pac-10.
Stanford, which entered the match with a 65-1 singles record in dual matches, breezed through the singles flight, winning five of the six matches in straight sets. Cardinal senior Paul Goldstein improved to 9-0 in dual matches (11-1 overall) with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Cal's Bobby Mahal at the No. 1 position. Stanford freshman Alex Kim, playing in the No. 6 slot, rebounded from a 1-6 first set loss to Nathan Jackmon to take the next two 6-3, 7-5 for the win. In doubles, Stanford's Goldstein and Ryan Wolters defeated Mahal and Jackmon 8-6 in the No. 1 position. The Cardinal tandem of Bob and Mike Bryan, currently ranked second in the nation, cruised to an 8-1 victory over Chris Santoso and David Sutton at No. 2 for their 17th win of the season.
Stanford will return to action at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium on Wednesday, March 25 when it hosts Brigham Young University at 11:00 a.m.
1. Paul Goldstein (Stanford) d. Bobby Mahal (California) 6-2, 6-1
2. Ryan Wolters (Stanford) d. Minh Le (California) 6-4, 6-1
3. Bob Bryan (Stanford) d. Adrian Barnes (California) 6-3, 6-2
4. Mike Bryan (Stanford) d. David Sutton (California) 6-2, 6-0
5. Geoff Abrams (Stanford) d. Kian Raiszadeh (California) 6-4, 6-3
6. Alex Kim (Stanford) d. Nathan Jackmon (California) 1-6, 6-3, 7-5
1. Goldstein/Wolters (Stanford) d. Mahal/Jackmon (California) 8-6
2. Bryan/Bryan (Stanford) d. Chris Santoso/Sutton (California) 8-1
3. Abrams/Charles Hoeveler (Stanford) d. Le/Erik Dmytruk (California) 8-6