Feb. 27, 1998
STANFORD, Calif. - The Stanford men's tennis team continued to roll today as they defeated Fresno State, 7-0, at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. The Cardinal is now 12-0 on the season and is riding a 24-match winning streak dating back to last season. Additionally, the Cardinal has not lost a dual match at home in 24 matches.
The Cardinal began the match winning the doubles point. Head Coach Dick Gould rearranged his starting lineup, moving the pair of Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan to number one singles, where they won 8-2, today. Bryan and Bryan are currently ranked second nationally in the Rolex Collegiate Rankings.
In singles, Paul Goldstein started off the Cardinal roll with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Fresno State's Peter Luczak. All matches finished in just two sets with freshman Ali Ansari being the only player forced into a longer match. Rob Cheyne of Fresno State, after losing the first set, 6-4, rebounded to push the match, eventually losing the second set 7-5 to Ansari.
The Cardinal continues a homestand tomorrow, Saturday, February 28 against Bay Area rival California at noon. The match will be held at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Here are today's complete results:
Stanford 7, Fresno State 0
1. Paul Goldstein (Stanford) d. Peter Luczak (Fresno St.) 6-2, 6-1
2. Mike Bryan (Stanford) d. Oliver LeJeune (Fresno St.) 6-1, 6-3
3. Bob Bryan (Stanford) d. Andy Scorteanu (Fresno St.) 6-1, 6-0
4. Alex Kim (Stanford) d. David Mullins (Fresno St.) 6-3, 6-0
5. Scotty Scott (Stanford) d. Kevin Viera (Fresno St.) 6-4, 6-1
6. Ali Ansari (Stanford) d. Rob Cheyne (Fresno St.) 6-4, 7-5
1. Bryan/Bryan (Stanford) d. Scorteanu/Mullins (Fresno St.) 8-2
2. Goldstein/Ryan Wolters (Stanford) d. Luczak/Viera (Fresno St.) 8-3
3. Geoff Abrams/Charles Hoeveler (Stanford) d. LeJeune/Chris Smith (Fresno St.) 8-6
Records: Stanford:12-0, Fresno St.: 2-2
Saturday, Feb. 28 - Stanford vs. California, Noon @ Taube Family Tennis Stadium