Men's Tennis Slams Utah
Cardinal victorious over Utes, 7-0.
Feb. 24, 1998
STANFORD, Calif. - The Stanford men's tennis team continued to roll today as they defeated Utah, 7-0, at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium. The Cardinal is now 11-0 on the season and is riding a 23-match winning streak dating back to last season.
The Cardinal struck quickly today winning the doubles point, dropping no more than five games in a single match. In singles, Stanford's Paul Goldstein led the attack with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Ben Coates at number two singles. Other singles matches quickly followed with Geoff Abrams, Ali Ansari and Alex Kim sweeping their singles matches. At number one, Stanford's Ryan Wolters rebounded from a 7-5 first set victory to quickly defeat Paul McPherson 6-3 in the second set and give the Cardinal another victory. Despite losing the first set, Cardinal Scotty Scott defeated Adam Eke, 2-6, 6-0, 6-1, to close out the Stanford win.
The Cardinal continues a homestand with a 1:30 pm match on Friday, February 27 against Fresno State and a Saturday, February 28 match against Bay Area rival California at noon. Both matches will be held at the Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
Stanford 7, Utah 0
1. Ryan Wolters (Stanford) d. Paul McPherson (Utah) 7-5, 6-3
2. Paul Goldstein (Stanford) d. Ben Coates (Utah) 6-3, 6-0
3. Geoff Abrams (Stanford) d. Philippe Rodrigue (Utah) 6-3, 6-2
4. Alex Kim (Stanford) d. Alex Buxton (Utah) 6-3, 6-1
5. Scotty Scott (Stanford) d. Adam Eke (Utah) 2-6, 6-0, 6-1
6. Ali Ansari (Stanford) d. Kevin Zenger (Utah) 6-2, 6-3
1. Goldstein/Wolters (Stanford) d. Coates/Rodrigue (Utah) 8-5
2. Bob Bryan/Kim (Stanford) d. Buxton/Eke (Utah) 8-3
3. Charles Hoeveler/Abrams (Stanford) d. McPherson/Zenger (Utah) 8-3
Records: Stanford:11-0, Utah: 8-3
Friday, Feb. 27 Stanford vs. Fresno State 1:30 pm Taube Family Tennis Stadium
Saturday, Feb. 28 Stanford vs. California Noon Taube Family Tennis Stadium