Feb. 18, 2012
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.- No. 2 Virginia stormed back in singles after losing the doubles point, defeating No. 9 Stanford 4-1 on Saturday evening in the quarterfinal round of the National Team Indoor Championships.
Stanford (7-4, 0-0 Pac-12) earned the right to face host Virginia after defeating No. 7 Baylor 4-2 on Friday night in the opening round.
Saturday's contest was a rematch of last year's NCAA Tournament quarterfinal, in which Stanford nearly upset then-No. 1 Virginia in a 4-3 loss at Taube Family Tennis Stadium.
However, the Cavaliers (7-0, 0-0 ACC) were too much to handle this time around, quickly recording four singles wins after falling behind 1-0.
The Cardinal claimed the doubles point, thanks to its No. 2 duo of Matt Kandath and Denis Lin. With Virginia winning on court three and Stanford taking court one, Kandath and Lin held off Virginia's Alex Domijan and Steven Rooda 8-6 for a 1-0 lead.
But Virginia answered with quick victories from Drew Courtney (6-1, 6-2 at No. 4), Alex Domijan (6-3, 6-1 at No. 2) and Julen Uriguen (6-4, 6-1 at No. 6) to move comfortably in front 3-1.
The clincher came at the No. 3 spot, where No. 1-ranked Mitchell Frank defeated Bradley Klahn 7-6 (6), 6-3 to preserve the match. A two-time All-American and the 2010 NCAA singles champion, Klahn was playing in just second singles match of the year after missing Stanford's first nine contests and the entire fall season due to injury.
Stanford will square off against No. 6 Kentucky on Sunday at 12:30 p.m. PT.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
No. 2 Virginia 4, No. 9 Stanford 1
1) Klahn/Thacher (STAN) d. No. 12 Courtney/Jenkins (UVA) 8-6
2) Kandath/Lin (STAN) d. No. 42 Domijan/Steven Rooda (UVA) 8-6
3) Frank/Uriguen (UVA) d. Morrissey/Stineman (STAN) 8-3
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1) No. 10 Jarmere Jenkins (UVA) vs. No. 29 Ryan Thacher (STAN) abandoned
2) Alex Domijan (UVA) d. Matt Kandath (STAN) 6-3, 6-1
3) No. 1 Mitchell Frank (UVA) d. Bradley Klahn (STAN) 7-6 (6), 6-3
4) Drew Courtney (UVA) d. Denis Lin (STAN) 6-1, 6-2
5) No. 37 Justin Shane (UVA) vs. John Morrissey (STAN) abandoned
6) Julen Uriguen (UVA) d. Robert Stineman (STAN) 6-4, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 2, 6, 3