May 17, 1997
Stanford Defeats Harvard, 4-0, in NCAA Tennis Championships
LOS ANGELES - Stanford men's tennis team defeated Harvard 4-0 Saturday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center at UCLA in the NCAA Men's Tennis Championship.
The win advances the Cardinal to the quarterfinals to be played at noon on Sunday, May 18.
Stanford's Bob Bryan said, "Everyone's fired up after winning our last two matches. I've plyaed here my whole life, so I feel at home. It (his match) felt good. I was serving well and flet focused. Coach emphasized not looking past the starting team (Harvard) because every team here is good."
Stanford Coach Dick Gould said, "Considering this was our first match of the month, we played pretty well. Harvard's always tough and the doubles' point was difficult. Once we got that point, things went smoothly."
Harvard Coach Dave Fish said, "They (Stanford) are marching toward a national championship and they were ready to play. If they bring 100 percent of theirs, against 100 percent of ours, they win. They came to play."
Stanford 4, Harvard 0
1. Ryan Wolters (Stan) def. Thomas Blake (Har) 6-3, 6-4
2. Bob Bryan (Stan) vs. Mitty Arnold (Har) DNF
3. Mike Bryan (Stan) def. Philip Tseng (Har) 6-3, 6-1
4. Paul Goldstein (Stan) def. Kunj Majmudar (Har) 6-1, 6-1
5. Geoff Abrams (Stan) vs. Michael Passarella (Har) DNF
6. Grant Elliott (Stan) vs. John Doran (Har) DNF
1. Paul Goldstein/Ryan Wolters (Stan) def. Thomas Blake/Mitty Arnold (Har) 8-3
2. Bob Bryan/Mike Bryan (Stan) def. Kunj Majmudar/Elliot Weiss (Har) 8-6
3. Grant Elliott/Geoff Abrams (Stan) vs. Philip Tseng/Michael Passarella DNF
Records: Stanford (23-2); Harvard 17-6
Remaining Tournament Schedule:
Sunday, May 18 Quarterfinals, Noon
Monday, May 19 Semifinals, 2 p.m.
Tuesday, May 20 Final, 6 p.m.