Jan. 3, 2011
Box Score |
First-Half Action |
Photo Gallery 2 |
Photo Gallery 3
Post-game Notes in PDF Format
Stanford Post-Game Notes
vs. Virginia Tech, January 3, 2011
- The 12 wins extends a school-record. The eight-game win streak is the third-longest (10 in 1926 and 1940, nine in 1951 and eight in 1905).
- It is the first time in FBS history a team has won 12 games after losing 11 games, five years earlier. (Pitt went 12-0 in 1976 after going 1-10 in 1972).
- It is Stanford's first bowl win since 1996 when it defeated Michigan 38-0 in the Sun Bowl. Stanford is 10-11-1 in 22 bowl appearances. Under Jim Harbaugh the Cardinal are 1-1. It is the first ever meeting between the two schools.
- Andrew Luck continued to add to his single-season record for TD's (previous record John Elway in 1980 and Steve Stenstrom in 1993 with 27). He ended the season with 32. He also moved into fourth place on the all-time list with 45.
- The four touchdown passes by Andrew Luck set a Stanford bowl record (Guy Benjamin in 1977 Sun Bowl, Steve Dills in 1978 Bluebonnet Bowl both had three). The three TD catches by Coby Fleener is a Stanford bowl record. It was the fourth time this year Luck has thrown for four Tds.
- The 60-yard rushing TD by senior Jeremy Stewart in the first quarter was the longest rushing TD in Stanford bowl history and seventh longest in Orange Bowl history. It was the second longest this season for the Cardinal (Taylor ran for 62 yards at Oregon State) and a career-best for Stewart. Stewart came in with 38 net rushing on the season. It was also a career night, breaking his career-high of 73 total yards v. Cal in 2007.
- The 56-yard run by Stepfan Taylor was the second longest of his career (also had 62 yards at Oregon State).
- Coby Fleener had two of the three longest catches of his career-- the 58-yard catch in the fourth quarter set a new career best after his 41-yard catch in the third (he had a 42 yard catch v. Washington in 2009). After having just one TD in his first two seasons, he scored three for the first time in a game and now has seven on the season.
- It was the fifth rushing TD of the season and ninth on Owen Marecic's four-year career, when he scored in the third quarter to make it 19-12. Stanford's two-way standout also had a sack.
- It was the fifth interception of the season for Delano Howell and seventh in his career. Is the most interceptions in a season since Tank Williams in 2001 (also five). Howell also had two sacks.
- Over the last six games, Stanford has allowed just 56 points (all wins). The Cardinal have allowed just 32 points in last 15 quarters.
- With a 13-12 lead, Stanford never trailed at halftime this season.
- Stanford finished with a school-record 524 points, scoring 30 or more points in all but one game.
- Owen Marecic will be featured on CBS Evening News with Katie Couric on Thursday, January 4. Marecic's name came up following a conversation between former Secretary of State Dr. Condoleeza Rice and Couric. Rice is a Senior Fellow on Public Policy at the Hoover Institution on the Stanford campus.
- Stanford dignitaries in attendance included: Rice, former Cardinal quarterback and NFL Hall of Famer John Elway, Stanford's only Heisman winner Jim Plunkett and retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor.
- The country group Little Big Town performed the national anthem, the Goo Goo Dolls performed at Halftime.