Box Score |
2004 NCAA BASEBALL REGIONAL
June 5, 2004
POSTGAME NOTES - Game 4
Long Beach State 7, Stanford 4
at Stanford, CA (Sunken Diamond)
LONG BEACH STATE
* It was the 49ers second-straight win over the No. 1-ranked team in the nation, the last coming at the 1998 College World Series over Miami.
* For Jered Weaver, he is now the 15th Division-I player to strike out 200 in a season (he now has 201).
* It was Troy Tulowitzki's first career multi-homer game.
* It was the 49ers first win over Stanford since 1998, their last College World Series appearance.
* LBSU is playing in their third straight NCAA Regional Championship (Palo Alto in 2002, Long Beach in 2003, Palo Alto in 2004). LBSU won its own regional last year.
* Stanford had a 12-game win streak in postseason games played at Sunken Diamond snapped, as well as a 10-game string in Regional games on The Farm. The Cardinal also lost for just the fifth time (26-5) since the NCAA Super Regional format began in 1999.
* Stanford had winning streaks of four games overall and four games in the postseason over Long Beach State snapped. The last Long Beach State victory over Stanford came when the 49ers picked up a 5-1 win in an NCAA Regional game at Stanford on May 23, 1998, knocking the Cardinal out of the Regional. Stanford still leads the all-time series between the clubs (in the era of Mark Marquess since 1977) by a count of 5-2.
* Stanford's last loss in a postseason game at Sunken Diamond came when the Cardinal lost the "Saturday" winners' bracket game to Texas (May 26, 2001) by a score of 4-3 before coming back for three consecutive wins over Marist (6-0, May 26, 2001) and then a doubleheader sweep of Texas the next day (May 27, 2001; 10-9, 10 inn.; 4-3) to advance to the NCAA Super Regional and eventually to the College World Series, where Stanford eventually finished as the CWS runner-up after losing in the CWS championship game by a score of 12-1 to Miami.
* Stanford's doubleheader victory over Texas on May 27, 2001, is the only time in school history that the Cardinal has won a doubleheader on the final day of a Regional to advance further in the NCAA Tournament.
* Stanford lost just its fourth game of the season at home, falling to 28-4 at Sunken Diamond this season.
* Jed Lowrie had his career-high-tying 11-game hit streak snapped.
* Mark Romanczuk lost for just the fifth time in his career, falling to 23-5 over his two seasons at Stanford.
* Sam Fuld picked up the 355th hit of his career to move within 13 of all-time Pac-10 and Stanford leader John Gall (368, 1997-2000). Fuld played in his 251st consecutive game and made his 168th straight start.
*Chris Minaker (3-4, RBI) ties a career-high with the fourth three-hit game of his career.
*Freshman pitchers Jeff Stimpson (0.2 IP, 1 H) made his first career collegiate postseason appearance.
*Stanford's has an updated all-time postseason record of 114-55 (.675), including a 62-22 (.738) mark in Regional action.