Box Score |
Recap | Quotes
June 4, 2004
2004 NCAA BASEBALL REGIONALS
#1 STANFORD vs. #4 UNLV
* Stanford improves to 114-54 all time in the post season and 62-21 in regional play.
* Since the NCAA Super Regional format began in 1999, Stanford is 16-2 in Regionals and 10-2 in Super Regionals (24-6 overall, all games at Sunken Diamond).
* This was the first postseason matchup between UNLV and Stanford. UNLV still leads the all-time series, 4-3.
* Danny Putnam ties a season-high and a career postseason high with 5 RBI (also June 17, 2003 versus South Carolina at the College World Series). Putnam hits his 6th career postseason homerun. Putnam now has 26 career postseason RBI in 17 games.
* Jeff Gilmore (9.0 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 8 SO) wins his first career postseason outing with the following line. Gilmore ties a career-high with 8 strikeouts. He earns his second career complete game and is the only Stanford pitcher to go the distance this season.
* Stanford is 6-1 versus Long Beach State during the era of head coach Mark Marquess (1977-current). Stanford swept Long Beach State in two games at the 2003 Super Regional at Sunken Diamond (June 6-7), winning by scores of 5-1 and 4-2.
* Jed Lowrie (2-3, RBI) extends his hit streak to 11 games.
* Sam Fuld (1-5) picks up the 354th hit of his career to move to within 14 of all-time Stanford and Pac-10 leader John Gall (368, 1997-2000).
* 14 out of the last 18 runs scored against UNLV lefthander Jake Vose have been with two outs.
* First baseman Eddie Gill goes 3-4 with 2 RBI, good for his 24th multi-hit game and his 18th multi-RBI game.
* Rightfielder Eric Nielsen was hit by a pitch for the 27th time this season, setting a new single-season record for the team.
* UNLV falls to 4-9 against California teams.
* The Rebels lose their first regional game for the second year in a row. The Rebels went on to win two straight at the Tempe Regional in 2003 before losing in the Sunday game against Arizona State.
* Tonight was only the 7th time this year UNLV has been held to 7 hits or less in a game. They have had at least 9 hits in every game since the 24th of April.