Oct. 17, 2007
Stanford, Calif -
Senior Evan Brown won the women's single-handed PCC's and freshman Cole Hatton finished third to lead the Cardinal men in the Pac Coast Single-handed Championships.
The Cardinal played host to the best single-handed sailors from teams around the Pacific Coast Conference Single-handed Championships on October 12, 13, 14. The women competed on Friday with 8 races for a complete regatta in cold, wet, rainy and windy conditions.
Senior Cardinal sailor and team captain Evan Brown established herself as the clear favorite early on in the 12-18 knot breeze by winning every race, which she continued even as the winds lightened toward the end of the day. Brown won the event with a perfect score of 8 points in just as many races, capturing the first Conference Championship of the season in commanding fashion. "She made very few errors, and her fitness level kept her in the front of the fleet," said coach Jay Kehoe.
Sophomore Leigh Hammel and Junior Megan Grove also competed in the home event for the Cardinal, finishing 5th and 6th respectively. Both had a few very strong finishes, and Leigh finished up a mere three points behind the third place spot.
The Stanford team looked to build on the momentum the women brought in to the weekend from Friday as seniors Edward Conrad and Craig Page, sophomore Peter Stemler, and freshman Cole Hatton competed in the Men's Single-handed PCC.
Both days saw a building westerly breeze in which the Cardinal sailors competed in the highly competitive 24-boat fleet. Hatton found himself in a close battle for the second qualifying position as late as the 15th race, but in the end he came up a little bit short. The talented freshman will certainly be able to use this tight racing as good experience for the future. Conrad, who is not traditionally a laser sailor, had a strong regatta and finished up tenth. Stemler and Page rounded out the group finishing 18th and 19th respectively.
Brown will represent Stanford at the ICSA/Vanguard Women's Single-handed National Championship in Seattle later this season. She is determined to better her finish of 5th in last year's event.
Womens Singlehanded PCC
1. Stanford 8 Evan Brown
2. University of California 20 Dominique Bertrand
3. University of Hawaii (2) 32 Hannah Tuson- Turner
4. University of Hawaii 33 Crystal Bronte
5. Stanford (2) 35 Leigh Hammel
6. Stanford (3) 49 Megan Grove
7. UCI 52 Juliana Mancini
8. UCLA 59 Kelly Kephart
Mens Singlehanded PCC
1. M Spector University of Hawaii 81
2. C Wenner Cal 93
3. C Hatton Stanford University 106
4. P Johnston Calif Maritime Academy 109
5. P Wenner University of Hawaii 122
6. W Peterson University of Hawaii 131
7. R Cameron UCI 150
8. B Malouf Calif Maritime Academy 162
9. B Buffaloe Calif Maritime Academy 180
10. E Conrad Stanford University 184
11. C Brochard Calif Maritime Academy 188
12. W Pcohereva UCI 204
13. A Meade University of Hawaii 222
14. D Adolphs UCLA 236
15. M Nahlik Santa Clara Univesity 250
16. J Dewolfe UC Santa Barbara 250
17. M Speavak Santa Clara University 259
18. P Stemler Stanford University 261
19. C Page Stanford University 266
20. B Vanderspeck Calif Maritime Academy 281
21. M Anders UC Santa Barbara 301
22. A Artis UC Santa Barbara 329
23. S Wheeler UCLA 375
24. E Coyon UCLA 385