STANFORD, Calif. – The Stanford sand volleyball team avenged a previous loss to visiting Santa Clara by defeating the Broncos 3-2, Tuesday, at the ACSR Sand Courts in Stanford, Calif. The Cardinal moves to 4-8 on the season, while Santa Clara drops to 6-8.
The Broncos evened up the match as Lacey Maas and Katy Schatzman topped junior Morgan Boukather and sophomore Megan McGehee, 21-23, 22-20, 15-13, at No. 5. The Cardinal pair held an 18-10 lead in the second set, but Santa Clara relentlessly climbed its way back in the match to force a third set.
The match came down to the top two pairs, where sophomores Jordan Burgess and Brittany Howard were able to clinch the win for the Cardinal. Playing at No. 2, the pair handily defeated Sabrina Clayton and Danielle Rottman, 21-18, 21-14.
Stanford will host San Francisco on Tuesday, April 22 for the season finale. Matches will begin at 3:30 p.m. PT at the ACSR Sand Courts.
Stanford 3, Santa Clara 2
1) Nikki Hess/Taylor Milton (SCU) def. Lauren Birks/Carly Wopat (STAN), 21-16, 24-22
2) Jordan Burgess/Brittany Howard (STAN) def. Sabrina Clayton/Danielle Rottman (SCU), 21-18, 21-14
3) Madi Bugg/Kelsey Humphreys (STAN) def. GiGi Cresto/Taylor Dayton (SCU), 22-20, 22-20
4) Inky Ajanaku/Kyle Gilbert (STAN) def. Madison Dutra/Sarah Vaccaro (SCU), 23-21, 21-16
5) Lacey Maas/Katy Schatzman (SCU) def. Morgan Boukather/Megan McGehee (STAN), 21-23, 22-20, 15-13
Exh: Chloe Lott/Chloe Sliger (SCU) def. Grace Kennedy/Dana Ritchie (STAN), 26-24, 23-21