April 21, 2013
STANFORD, Calif. - The Stanford women's sand volleyball team earned its second win of the day, defeating Sacramento State, 4-1, Sunday, at the ACSR Sand Volleyball Courts in Stanford, Calif. The Cardinal is now 6-1 on the season.
Inky Ajanaku and Mary Ellen Luck bounced back from an earlier loss as the No. 4 pair to top Lauren Aikels and Sloan Lovett (21-19, 21-17). Ajanaku registered 20 kills, eight digs and three blocks in the win. Luck added three kills, 13 digs and three aces.
Putting the Cardinal up 2-0 in the match was the No. 5 pair of Lydia Bai and Megan McGehee, defeating Breanne Menees and Chelcy Motes 21-12, 21-16. Bai and McGehee each tallied eight kills, while Bai collected 20 digs and McGehee had three blocks.
Sacramento State earned its only point at the No. 3 spot as Hannah Hettinga and Katelyn Ivy recorded a 22-24, 21-18, 15-11 win over Stanford's Madi Bugg and Kyle Gilbert. Bugg finished with 14 kills, 14 digs and five aces, while Gilbert totaled 17 kills and 18 digs.
Rachel Williams and Jordan Burgess, Stanford's No. 2 pair, clinched the match with a 21-15, 18-21, 15-8 victory over Jessie Genger and Sydney Kordic. Williams posted 19 kills and 14 digs, while Burgess finished with eight kills and 18 digs.
Stanford's top pair of Carly Wopat and Brittany Howard finished off the Hornets with a 21-16, 21-13 win over Katie Aprile and Kayla Beal. Howard totaled 11 kills and 11 digs, while Wopat chipped in with eight kills, five digs and two blocks.
The Cardinal will play its final match of its inaugural season on Tuesday, April 23 against Santa Clara. The match is set to begin at 3:30 p.m. PT from the ACSR Sand Volleyball Courts.
Stanford 4, Sacramento State 1
1) Brittany Howard/Carly Wopat (Stan) def. Katie Aprile/Kayla Beal (SacSt), 21-16, 21-13
2) Jordan Burgess/Rachel Williams (Stan) def. Jessie Genger/Sydney Kordic (SacSt), 21-15, 18-21, 15-8
3) Hannah Hettinga/Katelyn Ivy (SacSt) def. Madi Bugg/Kyle Gilbert (Stan), 22-24, 21-18, 15-11
4) Inky Ajanaku/Mary Ellen Luck (Stan) def. Lauren Aikels/Sloan Lovett (SacSt), 21-19, 21-17
5) Lydia Bai/Megan McGehee (Stan) def. Breanne Menees/Chelcy Motes (SacSt), 21-12, 21-16
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 3, 2, 1