PRINCETON, N.J. – The No. 7 Stanford squash team fell to No. 2 Trinity in the opening round of the Howe Cup on Friday at the Jadwin Squash Courts in Princeton, N.J.
With the loss the Cardinal falls to 6-7 on the season and will play in the consolation rounds againstNo. 6 Cornell on Saturday. Trinity improved to 14-1 and will face No. 3 Penn in the semifinals.
The Cardinal was without its No. 1 player, Madeleine Gill, for the first match of Nationals.
Freshman CC Ho stepped up into the top spot in the lineup and lost in three sets. It was Ho’s first career match at the No. 1 spot.
Sophomore Francesca Fleischer and freshman Julia Olson each provided the toughest competition. Fleischer and Chanel Erasmus of Trinity went toe-to-toe in the second set at the No. 9 position with Erasmus winning 13-11. The loss was the first of the year for Fleischer, whofalls to 5-1.
Olson and Natalie Babjukova also played a close second set at the No. 6 spot with Babjukova coming out on top, 12-10.
Stanford’s consolation match on Saturday is scheduled to begin at 11:30 a.m. (ET).
No. 2 Trinity 9, No. 7 Stanford 0
February 21, 2014
Jadwin Squash Courts
1. Kanzy El Defrawy (Trinity) def. CC Ho (Stanford) 11-0, 11-2, 11-0
2. Catalina Pelaez (Trinity) def. Serena Fagan (Stanford) 11-3, 11-6, 11-3
3. Wee Nee Low (Trinity) def. Bailey Bondy (Stanford) 11-7, 11-2, 11-7
4. Anna Kimberley (Trinity) def. Ariel Posner (Stanford) 11-4, 11-4, 11-2
5. Ashley Tidman (Trinity) def. Ally Huchro (Stanford) 11-8, 11-7, 11-3
6. Natalie Babjukova (Trinity) def. Julia Olson (Stanford) 11-3, 12-10, 11-3
7. Sachika Balvani (Trinity) def. Sarah Haig (Stanford) 11-3, 11-4, 11-2
8. Jennifer Pelletier (Trinity) def. Carolyn Gillette (Stanford) 11-5, 11-4, 11-6
9. Chanel Erasmus (Trinity) def. Francesca Fleischer (Stanford) 11-7, 13-11, 11-8
10. Alexia Echeverria (Trinity) def. Alex Yorke (Stanford) 11-1, 11-5, 11-7