PRINCETON, N.J. – In a match between two top-10 teams, it was No. 10 Brown coming away with an upset over No. 7 Stanford at the Jadwin Squash Courts on Princeton’s campus.
The Cardinal’s top four all posted victories, but Brown controlled the bottom half of the lineup with wins at the 5-9 spots.
Junior Madeleine Gill picked up her fourth victory of the season. She swept through her match at the No. 1 spot against Dori Rahbar with a pivotal 15-13 win in the second set.
Freshman CC Ho also won in straight sets while playing at the No. 2 position and is now 5-3 on the year. She beat Sarah Domenick 11-8, 11-9, 11-6. Bailey Bondy, another Stanford freshman, took her match at the No. 4 position in four sets. Bondy and Emily Richmond traded the first two sets and then Bondy took control with wins in the next two to close out the win. She improved to 4-2 in her first season.
Senior Serena Fagan notched her third victory this year. Playing at the No. 3 slot in the lineup, Fagan and Hannah Hay-Smith battled to the very end. Fagan took the first two sets and Hay-Smith the next two. The fifth and final set went down to the wire with the two players going to extra points before Fagan gained the two-point edge at 13-11.
In the five matches that Brown won, two were in straight sets, two went to four sets and one went five sets. At the No. 8 match between Stanford’s Carolyn Gillette and Brown’s Skylar Murphy, it was Murphy with the first two sets and Gillette rallying in the next two to force a fifth and deciding set. The fifth set was close with Murphy just beating Gillette, 11-9.
The loss dropped Stanford to 4-5 on the season. Brown improved to 10-2 overall.
Stanford will conclude its regular season on Sunday with a match versus No. 4 Princeton at 12 noon.
No. 10 Brown 5, No. 7 Stanford 4
Jadwin Squash Courts - Princeton, N.J.
February 1, 2014
1. Madeleine Gill (Stanford) def. Dori Rahbar (Brown) 11-3,15-13,11-5
2. CC Ho (Stanford) def. Sarah Domenick (Brown) 11-8,11-9,11-6
3. Serena Fagan (Stanford) def. Hannah Hay-Smith (Brown) 11-5, 11-8, 8-11, 9-11, 13-11
4. Bailey Bondy (Stanford) def. Emily Richmond (Brown) 12-10,9-11,11-7,11-6
5. Mina Shakarshy (Brown) def. Ally Huchro (Stanford) 14-12,7-11,11-8,12-10
6. Meredith Schmidt-Fellner (Brown) def. Ariel Posner (Stanford) 11-6,5-11,11-8,11-6
7. Katherine Elliott-Moskwa (Brown) def. Julia Olson (Stanford) 11-8,11-5,11-5
8. Skylar Murphy (Brown) def. Carolyn Gillette (Stanford) 11-6,12-10,5-11,11-13,11-9
9. Isabel Scherl (Brown) def. Julia Hemmendinger (Stanford) 7-11, 7-11, 8--11