NEW HAVEN, Conn. – In the first of four matches in New Haven, Conn., the No. 7 Stanford squash team was shutout by No. 5 Yale on Friday.
Two brothers, Mark and Dave Talbott, saw their teams go head-to-head with Mark leading the Cardinal and Dave heading up the Bulldogs. This time around Dave’s squad got the best of Mark’s group, winning 9-0 at the Brady Squash Center.
Stanford claimed one victory on the day but it was not in the top nine of the lineup so it didn’t count towards the team score. Junior Alex Yorke
, who returned to her home state of Connecticut, defeated Nina Kempner in straight sets 11-8, 11-8, 11-9 for her second win of the year.
Three of the matches that Yale won against Stanford went to four sets while six others were done after three sets. Freshman CC Ho
won her first set against Shihui Mao at the No. 2 position, 11-5, but would fall in the next three. At the No. 3 spot in the order, senior Serena Fagan
picked up an 11-4 victory in her second set to even the match. However, Issey Norman-Ross took a tight third set 13-11 and then finish off the match with an 11-7 advantage in the fourth. Freshmen Bailey Bondy
was playing in just her second collegiate match and was in the No. 4 slot. She took Jenny Scher to four sets only couldn’t pull out the win.
The Cardinal will be back in action with a doubleheader on Saturday. They will face Dartmouth at 8:30 a.m. (ET) and then follow with a match against Bates College at 4 p.m. (ET).
No. 5 Yale 9, No. 7 Stanford 0
Brady Squash Center s New Haven, Conn.
January 24, 2014
1. Millie Tomlinson (Yale) def. Madeleine Gill (Stanford) 11-7, 11-7, 11-9
2. Shihui Mao (Yale) def. CC Ho (Stanford) 5-11, 11-7, 11-8, 11-5
3. Issey Norman-Ross (Yale) def. Serena Fagan (Stanford) 11-9, 4-11, 13-11, 11-7
4. Jenny Scher (Yale) def. Bailey Bondy (Stanford) 11-7, 10-12, 11-7, 11-9
5. Lillian Fast (Yale) def. Ally Huchro (Stanford) 11-7, 14-12, 11-2
6. Gwendoline Tilghman (Yale) def. Ariel Posner (Stanford) 11-7, 11-5, 13-11
7. Shiyuan Mao (Yale) def. Julia Olson (Stanford) 11-8, 11-2, 11-6
8. Annie Ballaine (Yale) def. Sarah Haig (Stanford) 11-6, 11-4, 11-3
9. Anne Harrison (Yale) def. Carolyn Gillette (Stanford) 11-6, 11-5, 11-8
10. (EXH) Alex Yorke (Stanford) def. Nina Kempner (Yale) 11-8, 11-8, 11-9