No. 3 Stanford (2-3, 2-2 MPSF)
No. 1 Oklahoma (6-0, 3-0 MPSF)
Friday, Feb. 14 – 5 p.m. (PT)
Fort Worth Convention Center Arena – Fort Worth, Texas
STANFORD, Calif. – No. 3 Stanford will see No. 1 Oklahoma for a second consecutive week when the Cardinal travels to Fort Worth, Texas, for the Metroplex Challenge on Friday at 5 p.m. (PT).
The Cardinal will also take on club teams from Arizona State, Texas and Texas A&M.
Stanford posted a season-best team score but it wasn’t quite enough as the Cardinal fell at Oklahoma last Saturday, 447.700-437.250. The Sooners’ score was the highest in the NCAA this season and second-highest in the nation since 2008 when the scoring system was adjusted.
Oklahoma is undefeated this season, averaging a team score of 445.050. The Sooners have passed the 440-point mark in four of five meets this season.
Oklahoma and Stanford finished second and third, respectively, at the 2013 NCAA Championships.
Follow the Action
• Fans can follow along on Twitter @StanfordMGym and #gostanford.
• Stanford scored season-highs in three events to post a season-best team score but fell at No. 1 Oklahoma, 447.700-437.250.
• The Cardinal scored season-bests on pommel horse (72.750), vault (74.400) and parallel bars (74.550).
• Dennis Zaremski claimed Stanford’s lone individual victory at Oklahoma, posting a collegiate-best 15.800 on parallel bars. He has claimed four individual victories on the year with three coming in the past two meets.
• Brian Knott competed for the first time in 2014 and placed second on parallel bars (15.200) and pommel horse (14.800).
• Akash Modi continued to be a force in the all-around, finishing with an 88.350. He set a collegiate best on vault (15.150) to finish second and tied his collegiate high on floor (15.400) to place third. Modi is ranked in the top 20 in six of seven events, including a No. 1 ranking in the All-Around (88.867 three-score average).
• Sean Senters returned to the lineup for the first time in 2014 and led the Cardinal on pommel horse with a 14.700.
• Taylor Seaton had a strong day on vault at Oklahoma, posting a 15.100 to finish third.
Saturday’s Opponent: No. 1 Oklahoma
• The Sooners have been dominant this year, scoring over 440 points in four of five meets. Oklahoma scored a program-best 447.700 in its most recent meet against Stanford, which ranks first in the NCAA this season.
• Stanford won the first meeting against Oklahoma in 2013 at the Stanford Open, but the Sooners defeated the Cardinal in the final two meetings at the MPSF Championships and the NCAA Finals.
• Oklahoma is well represented in the national rankings, placing first in five of six events. The Sooners have five gymnasts in the top 10 in floor, four on parallel bars and three on pommel horse and high bar.
• Key Oklahoma contributors include Alec Robin (first in the nation on floor, 15.417 three-score average), Michael Squires (second in the nation on still rings, 15.933 three-score average), Danny Berardini (fifth in the nation in the all-around, 84.883 three-score average) and Kanji Oyama (tied for third on floor, 15.300 three-score average).
In the Rankings
• Stanford is ranked in the top 25 in the following events based on its three-score average:
Floor: 6th, 72.083
Pommel Horse: 4th, 71.517
Rings: 5th, 72.917
Vault: 5th, 73.250
Parallel Bars: 4th, 72.167
High Bar: 4th, 70.133
Paul Hichwa, T-14th, 14.500
Akash Modi, 1st, 88.867