No. 5 Stanford (2-2, 2-1 MPSF)
No. 1 Oklahoma (5-0, 2-0 MPSF)
Saturday, Feb. 8 – 3 p.m. (PT)
McCasland Field House – Norman, Okla.
TV – Fox Sports Oklahoma, Fox College Sports Pacific
STANFORD, Calif. – No. 5 Stanford will leave California for the first time this season for a dual meet against No. 1 Oklahoma on Saturday at 3 p.m. (PT).
The Cardinal is coming off a week of rest after a third-place finish in the Stanford Open with a score of 429.900, falling to No. 2 Michigan (433.050) and No. 6 California (430.300). Stanford led for a majority of the meet but slipped to third after a tough final rotation on high bar.
Oklahoma is undefeated this season, beating Iowa in its most recent competition, 444.300-430.600. The Sooners have passed the 440-point mark in three of four meets this season.
Oklahoma and Stanford finished second and third, respecfully, at the 2013 NCAA Championships.
Follow the Action
• The competition will be televised on Fox Sports Oklahoma and Fox College Sports Pacific. Live stats for the meet will be available via gostanford.com and fans can follow along on Twitter @StanfordMGym and #gostanford.
• Stanford led for the majority of its most recent competition but finished third after a tough final rotation on high bar at the Stanford Open. The Cardinal scored 429.900 to finish behind No. 2 Michigan (433.050) and No. 6 California (430.300).
• Stanford entered the final rotation on high bar poised to knock off defending national champion Michigan and earn its tenth consecutive victory over California, holding over a three-point advantage over both teams. However, the Cardinal was unable to overcome significant holes in its high bar lineup and was passed by both opponents.
• Despite the difficulties encountered during the final rotation, the night was filled with highlight performances from Stanford gymnasts. Nine Cardinal athletes delivered at least one collegiate-best routine.
• Dennis Zaremski had a terrific Stanford Open, setting a collegiate best on rings (15.950) to place first and earning the individual victory on parallel bars with a 15.350. He has tabbed two of Stanford’s top four scores on rings and the second highest mark on parallel bars this season.
• Michael Levy scored a collegiate-best 15.450 on floor to finish third at the Stanford Open and record the Cardinal’s highest score in the event on the year. He has scored a 14.500 or higher in five of six events over the past two meets.
• The Cardinal had a big Stanford Open on rings, highlighted by Zaremski’s 15.950. He was followed by Levy (14.850) and Akash Modi (14.800). Jordan DeClerk (14.750) and Brandon Beckhardt (14.150) each delivered collegiate bests.
• David Frankl (14.500) and Cameron Backes (14.500) earned collegiate bests on parallel bars.
• Akash Modi has continued the fast start to his collegiate career and is ranked in the NCAA top-20 in four of seven events.
Saturday’s Opponent: No. 1 Oklahoma
• The Sooners have been dominant this year, scoring over 440 points in three of four meets. Oklahoma scored a program-best 444.300 in its most recent meet against Iowa, which ranks second in the NCAA this season.
• Stanford won the first meeting against Oklahoma in 2013 at the Stanford Open, but the Sooners defeated the Cardinal in the final two meetings at the MPSF Championships and the NCAA Finals.
• Oklahoma is well represented in the national rankings with multiple gymnasts placing in the top 10. The Sooners have four gymnasts in the top 10 in floor and parallel bars, and three gymnasts in the top 10 in pommel horse and high bar.
• Key Oklahoma contributors include Alec Robin (first in the nation on floor, 15.333 three-score average), Michael Squires (second in the nation on still rings, 15.750 three-score average), Danny Berardini (third in the nation in the all-around, 88.883 three-score average) and Kanji Oyama (fourth on floor, 15.117 three-score average).
In the Rankings
• Stanford is ranked in the top 25 in the following events based on its three-score average:
Floor: 6th, 72.083
Pommel Horse: 4th, 71.517
Rings: 5th, 72.917
Vault: 5th, 73.250
Parallel Bars: 4th, 72.167
High Bar: 4th, 70.133
Cale Robinson, 13th, 14.283