STANFORD, Calif. – The Stanford sand volleyball team dropped a 4-1 decision to No. 8 Saint Mary’s, Thursday, at the ACSR Sand Courts in Stanford, Calif. The Cardinal falls to 2-7 on the season, while the Gaels remain undefeated at 9-0.
Stanford’s No. 2 pair, junior Lauren Birks and sophomore Jordan Burgess, were the lone Cardinal team to pick up a win against the Gaels. They convincingly defeated Kristina Graven and Natalie Loos, 21-18, 21-11 to earn their fourth straight dual victory.
Saint Mary’s stormed back to win the next four matches, including three-set decisions over Stanford’s No. 3 team of Madi Bugg and Kelsey Humphreys and No. 5 team of Morgan Boukather and Megan McGehee.
Stanford wraps-up the week in Stockton, Calif., on Sunday, April 13. The Cardinal will face Sacramento State at Noon and Pacific at 3 p.m. PT.
No. 8 Saint Mary’s 4, Stanford 1
1) Jordan Shaw/Samantha Tinsley (SMC) def. Brittany Howard/Carly Wopat (STAN), 21-14, 21-13
2) Lauren Birks/Jordan Burgess (STAN) def. Kristina Graven/Natalie Loos (SMC), 21-18, 21-11
3) Dalas Dodd/Alexis Salmons (SMC) def. Madi Bugg/Kelsey Humphreys (STAN), 21-14, 19-21, 15-12
4) Rachel Gillcrist/Mileva Popovic (SMC) def. Kyle Gilbert/Grace Kennedy (STAN), 22-20, 21-19
5) Maegan Conroy/Milena Popovic (SMC) def. Morgan Boukather/Megan McGehee (STAN), 15-21, 21-10, 15-13