LOS ANGELES- No. 52 Stanford dropped a 4-0 decision at No. 3 UCLA on Saturday afternoon, suffering back-to-back losses for only the first time this year.
Stanford (9-4, 2-2 Pac-12) concluded its Southern California road swing and will play four of its final five regular-season matches at home.
UCLA (17-2, 4-0 Pac-12) claimed the doubles point with identical 8-4 victories at the Nos. 2 and 3 spots.
After the Bruins received wins from Gage Brymer (6-2, 6-1 at No. 4) and Karue Sell (6-1, 6-1 at No. 5), Clay Thompson came through with the clincher in a 6-1, 6-3 triumph over Daniel Ho on court two.
The three remaining singles matches were abandoned. Nolan Paige returned to the lineup, playing No. 4 singles.
This year’s earlier meeting at Taube Family Tennis Stadium was cancelled due to rain. The Cardinal claimed the doubles point in that match and booked first sets on four of six courts before the sides could not agree to shift the match indoors.
- - - - - - - -
No. 3 UCLA 4, No. 52 Stanford 0
1) Ho/Stineman (STAN) vs. Giron/Sell (UCLA) abandoned
2) Di Giulio/Thompson (UCLA) d. Ball/Morrissey (STAN) 8-4
3) Brymer/McDonald (UCLA) d. Paige/Tsodikov (STAN) 8-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1) John Morrissey (STAN) vs. No. 6 Marcos Giron (UCLA) abandoned
2) No. 1 Clay Thompson (UCLA) d. Daniel Ho (STAN) 6-1, 6-3
3) Trey Strobel (STAN) vs. No. 33 Mackenzie McDonald (UCLA) abandoned
4) No. 73 Gage Brymer (UCLA) d. Nolan Paige (STAN) 6-2, 6-1
5) No. 83 Karue Sell (UCLA) d. Anthony Tsodikov (STAN) 6-1, 6-1
6) Joseph Di Giulio (UCLA) vs. Robert Stineman (STAN) abandoned
Order of Finish: 4, 5, 2