TUCSON, Ariz.- Robert Stineman comeback victory at the No. 6 spot lifted Stanford to a 4-3 victory over Arizona on Sunday afternoon.
Stanford (8-2, 2-0 Pac-12) completed an impressive sweep of its three-match road swing, which also included 4-3 wins at UNLV and No. 52 Utah.
Stineman, who also clinched Stanford’s win at Utah on Friday, rallied from a 5-4 deficit in the second set to shift the momentum for the Cardinal, which has won a season-best five in a row.
For the second time in three matches, Stanford battled back after losing the doubles point, also doing so in Wednesday’s 4-3 win at UNLV. With the first two courts split, the Wildcats grabbed a 1-0 lead with an 8-6 victory at the top spot of the lineup.
Arizona extended its lead to 2-0 following Mario Urquidi’s 6-4, 6-4 triumph over Trey Strobel at the No. 4 spot.
John Morrissey put Stanford on the board with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Kieren Thompson at the No. 1 position, cutting the lead to 2-1.
Sumeet Shinde’s 6-3, 6-3 win over Daniel Ho on court three staked the Wildcats to a 3-1 advantage.
But the Cardinal rattled off a pair of straight-set victories to stay alive and even the match at 3-3. After Maciek Romanowicz defeated Naoki Takeda 6-4, 6-0 at the No. 2 spot, Anthony Tsodikov posted a 6-3, 6-3 win over Will Kneale at No. 5.
Having already taken the first set 6-3, Stineman erased a 5-4 deficit in the second set to clinch the win.
Stanford will next host No. 19 Boise State on Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. before traveling to Southern California later next week.
- - - - - - - -
Stanford 4, Arizona 3
1) Shinde/Takeda (ARIZ) d. Morrissey/Romanowicz (STAN) 8-6
2) Ho/Stineman (STAN) d. Dunn/Urquidi (ARIZ) 8-5
3) James/Thompson (ARIZ) d. Ball/Strobel (STAN) 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1) John Morrissey (STAN) d. Kieren Thompson (ARIZ) 6-1, 6-1
2) No. 55 Maciek Romanowicz (STAN) d. Naoki Takeda (ARIZ) 6-4, 6-0
3) Sumeet Shinde (ARIZ) d. Daniel Ho (STAN) 6-3, 6-3
4) Mario Urquidi (ARIZ) d. Trey Strobel (STAN) 6-4, 6-4
5) Anthony Tsodikov (STAN) d. Will Kneale (ARIZ) 6-3, 6-3
6) Robert Stineman (STAN) d. Trevor James (ARIZ) 6-3, 7-5
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 3, 2, 5, 6