Don't have an account? Click Here
Hannah Farr. Photo by Hector Garcia-Molina/
Farr's Away Goal Wins It
Courtesy: Stanford Athletics  
Release: 03/07/2014
TOWSON, Md. – Hannah Farr scored as time ran out in the first overtime half and No. 19 Stanford controlled the ball thereafter to beat No. 11 Towson, 8-7, in nonconference women’s lacrosse Friday at Johnny Unitas Stadium.

Stanford (4-1) maintained possession throughout the entire six minutes of overtime and for all but 19 seconds of the game’s final 9:03. In fact, Towson (2-3) was unable to even get off a shot for the game’s final 17:08.

But it was Farr’s goal combined with strong draws taken by specialist Emily Newstrom and controlled by teammates Megan Lerner and Rachel Kalick that enabled Stanford to maintain possession throughout overtime.

Lerner controlled the opening overtime draw and Stanford played for one good shot before Farr was fouled in the 8-meter arc with three seconds left in the three-minute half. With a free position from a poor angle on the right side of the arc, Farr took two quick steps and fired over the right shoulder of goalie Kelsea Donnelly to give Stanford the lead.

“After Megan won the draw, we were trying to read what defense Towson was playing,” Stanford coach Amy Bokker said. “We ran an initial play, but didn’t get a shot off and then we were scrambling a little before Hannah drew the eight-meter.”

The first overtime must be played in its entirety, and the second three-minute half opened with Kalick’s draw control – her first of the season. With help from a two-minute penalty on Towson, the Cardinal was able to run out the clock, though not without difficulty. With about 30 seconds left, Adrienne Anderson had the ball checked away on a triple team, only for Meg Lentz to make the pickup and prevent the turnover. Alex Poplawski ran out the final seconds.

“We focused on defense,” said Bokker, after Stanford allowed an average of 16 goals over its previous three games. “Lyndsey Munoz made some great saves early that kept us in it early and gave the defense some confidence.”

Stanford forced 15 turnovers, including one that Meredith Kalinowski picked up with 3:03 left in the second half that helped the Cardinal begin to control play down the stretch. Farr’s six ground balls and Lerner’s five were important to Stanford’s possession game, as were Lerner’s three draw controls.

This was the first game against a ranked opponent for Stanford and the second overtime contest. Stanford ended its season-opening three-game homestand with a 16-15 overtime loss to Vanderbilt when the Cardinal had the OT lead, but allowed two goals in the final 34 seconds.

This time, it was Stanford who rallied. In tight game that neither team led by more than two goals, the Cardinal tied the game at 7-7 on a free-position shot by Poplawski with 3:51 left in the second half. Stanford had led 5-3 before Towson (2-3) scored three consecutive goals to take a 6-5 second-half lead.

Only 3:25 into the second half, after Towson tied it, 5-5, Bokker called a timeout and made some adjustments that paid off the rest of the way. Stanford held the Tigers to only one goal over the final 23 minutes.

Farr and Lentz led Stanford with two goals apiece. Anna Kim, Lucy Dikeou, Julia Burns, and Poplawski also scored for the Cardinal.

The game was the third on the road in a five-day span. Stanford next plays at No. 14 Georgetown on Sunday.

Stanford 8, Towson 7 (OT)
Stanford 5 2 1 – 8
Towson  4 3 0 – 7
Stanford (goals-assists): Hannah Farr 2-1, Meg Lentz 2-0, Anna Kim 1-1, Lucy Dikeou 1-0, Alex Poplawski 1-0, Julia Burns 1-0.
Towson: Andi Raymond 2-1, Ashleigh Rohrback 2-0, Samantha Brookhart 1-1, Taylor Moore 1-0, Alyssa Ferro 1-0.
Records: Stanford 4-1, Towson 2-3.



Cardinal AXEcess

Cardinal AXEcess
The Cardinal Facts