PRINCETON, N.J. – No. 6 Cornell made it two-for-two against No. 7 Stanford on Saturday with a 6-3 victory in the consolation round of the Howe Cup at Princeton, N.J.
The Big Red toppled the Cardinal, 7-2, in November and was able to repeat its performance in a tightly contested match at the Jadwin Squash Courts.
Four of the 10 matches went to five sets, however, Stanford was only able to emerge with a victory at the No. 4 position. Freshman Baily Bondy and Cornell’s Rachel Scherman traded blows throughout with Bondy squeaking out a 12-10 win in the fifth set. The Big Red was able to take five-set matches at the No. 7, 8 and 10 spots.
The match at the No. 10 position featured an epic battle in the second and third sets. Junior Alex Yorke was able to win both for the Cardinal. She pulled out the second set, 17-15, and then nearly went as long to win the third set, edging Sydney Francis, 16-14. She could not sustain the success though and would lose the final two sets.
Senior Serena Fagan gave Stanford a victory at the No. 3 spot. After losing the first set, she cruised past Lindsay Seginson to take the match in four. Junior Ally Huchro jumped out to a 2-0 lead and then finished off Rachel Au in four sets at the No. 6 position.
Only two matches were sweeps with Cornell’s Danielle Letourneau and Brynn Daniels each winning in three sets at the No. 1 and 5 positions, respectively.
Stanford will play its final match of the 2013-14 season on Sunday. They are set to take on No. 8 Dartmouth in the consolation playoff at 12 noon (PT). The playoff will decide the seventh and eighth place finishers at Nationals.
No. 6 Cornell 6, No. 7 Stanford
Howe Cup Consolation Round
Jadwin Squash Courts – Princeton, N.J.
February 22, 2014
1. Danielle Letourneau (Cornell) def. Madeleine Gill (Stanford) 11-5, 11-5, 11-8
2. Jesse Pacheco (Cornell) def. CC Ho (Stanford) 5-11, 11-8, 11-5, 11-7
3. Serena Fagan (Stanford) def. Lindsay Seginson (Cornell) 9-11, 11-6, 11-5, 11-8
4. Bailey Bondy (Stanford) def. Rachel Scherman (Cornell) 11-7, 5-11, 11-8, 9-11, 12-10
5. Brynn Daniels (Cornell) def. Ariel Posner (Stanford) 11-9, 11-8, 11-8
6. Ally Huchro (Stanford) def. Rachel Au (Cornell) 11-9, 11-9, 9-11, 11-8
7. Reut Odinak (Cornell) def. Julia Olson (Stanford) 5-11, 11-7, 11-6, 8-11, 11-5
8. Olivia Wherry (Cornell) def. Sarah Haig (Stanford) 11-9, 7-11, 4-11, 11-3, 11-8
9. Laura Caty (Cornell) def. Carolyn Gillette (Stanford) 11-7, 10-12, 11-6, 11-9
10. Sydney Francis (Cornell) def. Alex Yorke (Stanford) 11-5, 15-17, 14-16, 11-5, 11-4