Stanford – 26 • 31 = 57
Connecticut – 39 • 37 = 76
• Stanford fell to 9-6 all-time to Connecticut, and has lost nine of the past 12 meetings. Monday’s loss was also the first for the Cardinal at Gampel Pavilion. The Cardinal entered the game 1-0 in Storrs, having captured a 68-54 win on Feb. 20, 1993.
• Amber Orrange set a new career-high with 22 points, breaking her old mark of 20 set last March 10 in the Pac-12 Tournament title game against UCLA.
• Chiney Ogwumike posted her 60th-career double-double, scoring 16 points and grabbing 13 rebounds.
• Freshman point guard Lili Thompson hit her first collegiate 3-pointers, going 2-for-3 from behind the arc and scoring six points.
• Chiney Ogwumike and Amber Orrange combined for 38 of Stanford’s 57 points.
• The last time that Stanford lost its first game this early in the season (second game) was in 2008-09, when the Cardinal dropped its second contest of the campaign, SCORE, on Nov. X at Baylor.
• All five of Stanford’s freshmen saw action Monday, combining to score 14 points led by six from Lili Thompson, and grabbing 11 rebounds, led by seven from Kailee Johnson.
• Stanford’s total of 21 personal fouls was its highest since committing 24 in a 67-55 loss to California on Jan. 13, 2013 at Maples Pavilion.
• For the first time this season all available players (13 tonight) saw time on the court for the Cardinal.• Stanford head coach Tara VanDerveer remains five wins away from becoming just the fifth women’s basketball head coach to reach 900 wins. Her career record after Monday is now 895-204 (.814).