Courtesy Google Maps
|Facilities Guide >>
91 Links Rd, Stanford, 94305
The Stanford Golf Course is a University-owned facility under the direction and supervision of the Department of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation.
Playing privileges are available to students, faculty/staff, and alumni with current identification cards. Students with current quarter student body cards (and their spouses) may play at student green fees or on a student scrip card at the next available starting time weekdays and after 11 a.m. Saturdays, Sundays and holidays. Faculty/staff with current indentification cards for golf privileges as defined in the University Guide (and their spouses) may play at reduced faculty/staff green fees at the next available starting time weekdays and after 11 a.m. on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. The golf course is closed on Mondays to regular play except on University holidays.
Located in the foothills above the Stanford University campus, the Stanford University Golf Course is consistently rated one of the finest courses in the world. In 1998, the golf course was rated 91st in the country by Golf Week Magazine and in 1993 was rated 88th in the world by Golf Magazine.
In the 1920s, Stanford students lobbied for a golf course. The golf team was using the Burlingame Course for practice and was coached by the Burlingame pro Harold Sampson. Luckily, the students found an enthusiast in Almon E. Roth '09, the University Controller, who had become hooked on the game and was a member of the Los Altos Country Club. In February 1929, he persuaded the Stanford University Board of Trustees to provide the land and finance the construction of a golf course at the University. In 1930, Roth and Al Masters, the manager of the Athletic Department, hired by renowned golf course architects George C. Thomas Jr. and William "Billy" Bell to design and build the course.
Construction began in May of 1929, with great care being taken to preserve the oak trees. Ultimately, only 75 had to be removed. At that time, water for the irrigation of the campus came from Searsville Lake. Since a much great quantity of water would be required for the golf course, Felt Lake was enlarged to a capacity of 278,000,000 gallons. By December the course was ready. "Dick" Templeton, the track coach who first used starting blocks in track meets, was in the first foursome on opening day, January 1, 1930.
The course cost $188,000 to design and build. Enlarging Felt Lake cost $190,000 and the club house cost $54,000.
Stanford University Golf Course is steeped in tradition. Throughout the years, Stanford has hosted many intercollegiate and non-collegiate events, including the Stanford Invitational, Peg Barnard Intercollegiate, Pac-10 Championships, NCAA Western Regional, Women's NCAA Championships, USGA Junior Amateur Qualifying, U.S. Open Qualifying and The Gathering at the Farm, a former Senior PGA Tour event.
Stanford University Golf Course has also produced many influential golfers throughout the years. Such notables include former USGA presidents Sandy Tatum and Grant Spaeth, and PGA Tour professionals Tom Watson, Tiger Woods and Notah Begay III.
Stanford's athletic facilities accommodate disabled guests by wheelchair ramps, lowered drinking fountains, Braille signage and wider doorways.