April 14, 2006
Tucson, Ariz. - Top-ranked Stanford improved to 21-0 on the year with a 4-1 victory over No. 30 Arizona this afternoon at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center. The Cardinal broke its own record today by winning its 77th consecutive match, dating back to the beginning of the 2004 season.
The Cardinal also improved to 6-0 in the Pac-10, with hopes of clinching a share of the conference title tomorrow. With the loss, the Wildcats drop to 12-9 on the year with a 3-3 record in Pac-10 action.
In doubles, the Cardinal swept all three courts, as top-ranked duo Alice Barnes and Anne Yelsey scored an 8-3 win - their 30th victory as a pair this year. The twosome also improved to 18-0 on the year in dual action. Celia Durkin and Amber Liu improved to 19-2 on the season with an 8-4 victory on court two to secure the doubles point for Stanford, before sophomore duo Lejla Hodzic and Whitney Deason scored an 8-6 win on court three to complete the sweep.
In singles, fifth-ranked Barnes, 13th-ranked Yelsey and 35th-ranked Durkin finished first to secure the Stanford win. Barnes notched a 7-5 first set win, and then shutout Stephanie Balzert in the second set to pick up her 16th dual victory of the year. Yelsey scored a 6-1, 6-2 over #61 Juliette Mavroleon, as the Cardinal junior remains perfect in dual matches this year at 19-0. On court five, Durkin posted an identical 6-1, 6-2 victory to improve to 18-0 in dual matches this season.
With the Stanford victory secured at 4-1, Liu and Logar's matches were left unfinished.
Stanford will remain on the road this weekend, as the Cardinal will travel to Tempe to face Arizona State tomorrow at noon.
No. 1 Stanford 4, No. 30 Arizona 1
1. #1 Barnes/ Yelsey (S) def. Balzert/Mavroleon (A) 8-3
2. Durkin/Liu (S) def. Steinberg/Todorova (A) 8-4
3. Hodzic/ Deason (S) def. Jakowlew/Rochefort (A) 8-6
1. #48 Danielle Steinberg (A) led #19 Amber Liu (S) 6-4, 4-1 -- DNF
2. #5 Alice Barnes (S) def. Stephanie Balzert (A) 7-5, 6-0
3. #13 Anne Yelsey (S) def. #61 Juliette Mavroleon (A) 6-1, 6-2
4. #41 Whitney Deason (S) led Kasia Jakowlew (A), 7-5, 1-1 -- DNF
5. #35 Celia Durkin (S) def. Tina Razloznik (A) 6-1, 6-2
6. Camelia Todorova (A) def. Lejla Hodzic (S) 6-4, 6-4