May 19, 2011
2011 NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Championships
Taube Family Tennis Center - Stanford, Calif.
Thursday, May 19 - 9 a.m. - Taube South
Men's Round of 16
No. 6 GEORGIA (23-5) 4
No. 11 DUKE (22-10) 1
Doubles (Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1)
1) No. 6 Garrapiz/Pieters (UGA) d. No. 7 Carleton/Cunha (DUKE) 9-7
2) Holland/Mengel (DUKE) d. No. 88 Doumbia/Taboada (UGA) 8-4
3) Bernstein/Spencer (UGA) d. Saba/Wietoska (DUKE) 8-5
Singles (Order of Finish: 4, 3, 1, 6)
1) No. 18 Will Spencer (UGA) d. No. 8 Henrique Cunha (DUKE) 6-4, 6-3
2) No. 32 Javier Garrapiz (UGA) vs. No. 13 Reid Carleton (DUKE) aban.
3) Chris Mengel (DUKE) d. No. 51 Sadio Doumbia (UGA) 6-2, 6-4
4) Drake Bernstein (UGA) d. Fred Saba (DUKE) 6-4, 6-4
5) Ignacio Taboada (UGA) vs. Torsten Wietoska (DUKE) aban.
6) Hernus Pieters (UGA) d. Luke Marchese (DUKE) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
Duke Head Coach Ramsey Smith
"Georgia played a great match. It was highly competitive. I thought we did a good job of putting ourselves in position to win the doubles point and one four of our first sets of singles. We put ourselves in a good spot, competed hard and I'm proud of the guys."
Georgia Head Coach Manuel Diaz
"Their No. 1 player, Henrique Cunha, had food poisoning and was not at his best. Our No. 6, Hernus Pieters, who clinched, was reading in bed and got up too quickly and strained his back a bit. Both of those guys played with a whole lot of heart. A tough, tough match, and the doubles point went all the way to the wire. We are just excited to come out of that with a win."