May 20, 2011
2011 NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Championships
Taube Family Tennis Center - Stanford, Calif.
Friday, May 20 - 3 p.m. - Taube South
Women's Round of 16
#5 BAYLOR (28-3) 4
SMU (23-6) 0
Doubles (Order of Finish: 1, 3)
1) No. 70 Secerbegovic/Filipiak (BAY) d. No. 57 Lesniak/Malyarchikova (SMU) 8-4
2) Ormond/Stanivuk (BAY) vs. Cieplucha/Steinbauer (SMU) aban.
3) Nakic/Novakova (BAY) d. Hatamova/Turpin (SMU) 8-2
Singles (Order of Finish: 4, 6, 3)
1) No. 14 Sona Novakova (BAY) vs. No. 9 Marta Lesniak (SMU) aban.
2) No. 49 Nina Secerbegovic (BAY) vs. Edyta Cieplucha (SMU) aban.
3) No. 47 Diana Nakic (BAY) d. No. 124 Aleksandra Malyarchikova (SMU) 6-2, 6-2
4) No. 112 Jelena Stanivuk (BAY) d. Heather Steinbauer (SMU) 6-2, 6-0
5) Karolina Filipiak (BAY) vs. Shahzoda Hatamova (SMU) aban.
6) Taylor Ormond (BAY) d. Ashley Turpin (SMU) 6-2, 6-0
Baylor Head Coach Joey Scrivano
"We dominated a great team today, that's the bottom line and that's a good thing. Any time you can win a convincing round of 16 match that tends to be a good sign."
"One of the challenges of this tournament is that you don't get the proper amount of warmup so I was a little concerned that we were going to start off a little slow. But our players are very experienced, they've been here before and they know how to change the momentum of a match and they know what they've got to do. They were very focused on the job at hand and they did a great job."
SMU Head Coach Lauren Longbotham Meisner
"We had played Baylor earlier in the year and went 4-3 with them. But they are much improved. They played outstanding. All credit goes to them, they just came out and beat us. They are playing much better than at the time when we saw them. They flat-out beat us today. We wanted to give them a good fight and I think we did, especially in the doubles."
"This has always been a goal of ours, to get to the Sweet 16. The last two years we've had to play Baylor or Stanford in the second round, so it's been tough. This year, we felt like we got the right draw at the right time. We had been battling injuries all year long and went in with everyone healthy. I told them that we earned our spot here, and I'm proud of this team."