May 22, 2011
2011 NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Championships
Taube Family Tennis Center - Stanford, Calif.
Sunday, May 22 - 12 p.m. - Taube South
#6 UCLA (22-5) 4
#3 DUKE (25-5) 2
Doubles (Order of Finish: 2, 3)
1) No. 52 Kahan/Nse (DUKE) vs. No. 23 Dolehide/Remynse (UCLA) aban.
2) No. 24 Hickey/Jones (UCLA) d. No. 55 Fahoum/Mar (DUKE) 8-0
3) Johansson/Montez (UCLA) d. No. 90 Clayton/Gorny (DUKE) 8-5
Singles (Order of Finish: 5, 1, 4, 6, 2)
1) No. 57 McCall Jones (UCLA) d. No. 39 Nadine Fahoum (DUKE) 2-6, 6-3, 6-3
2) No. 41 Noelle Hickey (UCLA) d. No. 106 Ellah Nze (DUKE) 7-6 (4), 5-7, 6-2
3) No. 20 Reka Zsilinszka (DUKE) vs. No. 76 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) aban.
4) No. 97 Pamela Montez (UCLA) d. No. 72 Elizabeth Plotkin (DUKE) 7-5, 6-4
5) No. 89 Rachel Kahan (DUKE) d. No. 77 Courtney Dolehide (UCLA) 6-4, 6-4
6) No. 83 Mary Clayton (DUKE) d. Maya Johansson (UCLA) 6-0, 6-7 (4), 6-3
UCLA Head Coach Stella Sampras Webster
"I'm very proud of my team. We knew Duke was going to be very feisty and would not make it easy for us. We lost to them last year in the Sweet 16 and that was a tough loss for us. To be able to play them here and now to be in the final four is very sweet. Our team just fought really hard. We had to playing against a team like Duke."
"We know Duke well. They have three seniors and we have three seniors, so there are a lot of similarities. I'm happy for our seniors to get retribution from last year."
"Florida is a great team and they've had a great season. We're going to have to play extremely well but I know that our team is ready, hungry and excited."
Duke Head Coach Jamie Ashworth
"We had two seniors on the court that had won close to 250 matches between them. We were trying to give ourselves a chance after the doubles. We talked about not playing scared because we had nothing to lose. I thought we had
another bad start in doubles. We looked really defensive and emotionless in doubles. We told them to just leave everything out on the court. If after you lose 12 games or 48 points or whatever it is and UCLA beats you then walk up to the net and shake their hand, but leave it all out there. We had some opportunities with some set points and up in some sets. That is all we were trying to do it give ourselves a chance and that is what we did.
"We have four seniors in our lineup and three of them that were on the national title team of two years ago. It is a tough thing for them. Hopefully the younger now can understand what it takes to come here and win
six matches and four matches in five days."