May 20, 2011
2011 NCAA Division I Men's and Women's Tennis Championships
Taube Family Tennis Center - Stanford, Calif.
Friday, May 20 - 12 p.m. - Taube South
Women's Round of 16
#7 MIAMI (21-6) 4
#10 MICHIGAN (24-5) 2
Doubles (Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1)
1) No. 5 Bartenstein/Eichkorn (MIA) d. No. 8 Bolender/Muresan (MICH) 9-8 (2)
2) Mejia/Bolivar (MIA) d. No. 64 Taney/Tatsuno (MICH) 8-0
3) Nguyen/Sulahian (MICH) d. Dubins/Mills (MIA) 8-3
Singles (Order of Finish: 2 ,6, 1, 3, 4)
1) No. 8 Denise Muresan (MICH) d. No. 6 Bianca Eichkorn (MIA) 7-5, 6-2
2) No. 36 Anna Bartenstein (MIA) d. No. 81 Brooke Bolender (MICH) 6-1, 6-1
3) Gabriela Mejia (MIA) d. No. 82 Whitney Taney (MICH) 6-3, 7-6 (2)
4) No. 125 Kayla Rizzolo (MIA) d. No. 67 Sam Crister (MICH) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
5) Danielle Mills (MIA) vs. Rika Tatsuno (MICH) aban.
6) Mimi Nguyen (MICH) d. Melissa Bolivar (MIA) 6-1, 6-0
Miami head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews
"I personally think on paper that Michigan is better than us. Coming into this match I wasn't excited with a lot of the matchups. But our girls fought hard. I think it was important that Danielle Mills was able to stay out there so long and that put Kayla Rizzolo at ease a little bit more. Gabby (Gabriela Mejia) coming through in a tiebreaker was also huge."
"Being down four match points at No. 1 doubles and finding a way to get it done was obviously the changer in the match."
Michigan head coach Ronni Bernstein
"Miami hit some goot shots and we stepped back a little bit, it was a few points here and there toward the end. If we could have pulled out the doubles point, it would have been a whole different match. We let it slip through our hands, that's basically what happened there."
"That's what our team does, we battle. Even with losing the doubles point, we needed to come back. It was just one point and we needed to get four. We thought we could, but just didn't do the job at a lot of positions. We had two freshmen out there playing the last match and Miami's girls stepped up."