Jan. 26, 2006
Number-one ranked Stanford beat visiting Hawaii 7-0 today at the Taube Tennis Center in the Cardinal's 2006 dual match opener. The Cardinal, winners of the last two NCAA titles, won all six singles matches in straight sets and all three doubles matches to run their dual match winning streak to 57.
The Cardinal, which went 27-0 in 2005 and 29-0 in 2004 in winning the national championship each season, have now won 77 of their last 78 dual matches dating back to the 2003 season.
Against Hawaii, the Cardinal had little trouble disposing of all six singles opponents. Alice Barnes won her match at No. 1 singles 6-2, 6-1 and teamed with Anne Yelsey to win their doubles match 8-0. Yelsey, playing No. 2 singles, won her match 6-0, 6-1. Other Stanford players winning their singles matches were Whitney Deason at No. 3, Jessica Nguyen at No. 4, Lejla Hodzic at No. 5 and Joanna Kao at No. 6
Stanford will next play on Friday, Jan. 27 when they host Fresno State at 1:30 pm at the Taube Tennis Center.
Non-Conference: Stanford 7, Hawaii
1. Alice Barnes/Anne Yelsey (S) def. Kana Aikawa/Samantha Cappella (H), 8-0
2. Theresa Logar/ Jessica Nguyen (S) def. Julia Sandborn/Erin Katayama (H),8-1
3. Megan Doheny/Jessica Leck(S) def. Chloe Bihag/Florence Wasco (H), 8-5
1. Alice Barnes (S) def. Kana Aikawa (H), 6-2, 6-1
2. AnneYelsey (S) def.Chloe Bihag (H), 6-0, 6-1
3. Whitney Deason (S) def. Erin Katayama (H), 6-0, 6-0
4. Jessica Nguyen(S) def. Samantha Cappella (H), 6-1, 6-0
5. Lejla Hodzic (S) def. Florence Wasko (H), 6-0, 6-1
6. Joanna Kao (S) def. Julia Sandborn (H), 6-1, 6-0