April 8, 2006
Stanford, Calif. - Top-ranked Stanford improved to 20-0 on the year with a 7-0 record in Pac-10 play with a 6-1 win over fourth-ranked USC today at the Taube Tennis Center. The Trojans fall to 13-3 on the year, with a 4-1 mark in conference play. The Cardinal has now won 76-consecutive matches and increased its home winning streak to 94-straight matches.
Stanford swept the three doubles matches en route to a 1-0 lead to start the day, as top-ranked Alice Barnes and Anne Yelsey downed 18th-ranked Lindsey Nelson and Luana Magnani, 8-3, Celia Durkin and Amber Liu posted and 8-5 win on court two and Lejla Hodzic and Jessica Nguyen rounded out the day with an 8-1 victory.
In singles, the Cardinal won five matches, with Liu, Barnes, Yelsey and Durkin all capturing two-set wins. On court three, seventh-ranked Logar fought back from a first-set loss with 6-1, 6-1 sets to capture her 28th win of the season.
Next week, the Cardinal will be in Arizona, facing the Wildcats on Friday and the ASU Sun Devils on Saturday.
#1 Stanford 6, #4 USC 1
1. #1 Barnes/Yelsey (S) def. #18 Nelson/Magnani (USC), 8-3
2. Durkin/Liu (S) def. Matias/Vermeulen (USC), 8-5
3. Hodzic/Nguyen (S) def. Fink/DeVera (USC), 8-1
1. #19 Amber Liu (S) def. #51 Lindsey Nelson (USC), 6-4, 7-5
2. #5 Alice Barnes (S) def. #9 Amanda Fink (USC), 6-3, 6-3
3. #7 Theresa Logar (S) def. #49 Luana Magnani (USC), 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
4. #13 Anne Yelsey (S) def. #28 Dianne Matias (USC), 6-1, 6-2
5. Anca Anastasiu (USC) def. #41 Whitney Deason (S), 6-7, 6-3, 7-6
6. #35 Celia Durkin (S) def. Carine Vermeulen (USC), 6-2, 6-2