April 7, 2006
Stanford, Calif. - Top-ranked Stanford (19-0, 6-0 Pac-10) downed No. 10 UCLA, 7-0, at the Taube Tennis Center this afternoon. The Cardinal has now won 75-consecutive matches and increased its home winning streak to 93-straight matches. The Bruins fall to 12-3 on the year with a 4-1 mark in conference play.
The Cardinal started the day with a sweep in doubles to secure the first point. Top-ranked duo Alice Barnes and Anne Yelsey defeated Bruins duo Laura Gordon and Riza Zalameda, 9-8, as the Cardinal pair won their 16th dual match of the season together and improved to 28-2 on the season.
In singles, the Cardinal won all six singles matches to post a shutout for the 13th time this season. Yelsey, junior Theresa Logar both continued their winning ways, as Yelsey improved to 17-0 on the year in dual matches and Logar improved to 14-0. Seniors Amber Liu and Barnes and sophomores Whitney Deason and Lejla Hodzic also tallied a win in the Cardinal's victory.
Stanford will host fourth-ranked Southern California tomorrow. The first serve is set for noon.
No. 1 Stanford 7, No. 10 UCLA
1. #1 Barnes/Yelsey (S) def. Gordon/Zalameda (UCLA), 9-8
2. Durkin/Liu (S) def. Lumpkin/MCGoodwin (UCLA), 8-2
3. Hodzic/Nguyen (S) def. Lin/Joelson (UCLA), 8-4
1. #15 Amber Liu (S) def. Laura Gordon (UCLA), 6-3, 6-1
2. #5 Alice Barnes (S) def. Riza Zalameda (UCLA), 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
3. #6 Theresa Logar (S) def. Tracy Lin (UCLA), 6-4, 6-3
4. #13 Anne Yelsey (S) def. Alex McGoodwin (UCLA), 6-2, 6-4
5. #41 Whitney Deason (S) def. Ashley Joelson (UCLA), 6-3, 6-1
6. Lejla Hodzic (S) def. Elizabeth Lumpkin (UCLA), 6-2, 6-0